PT 425 Kohler 25 HP Engine

/ PT 425 Kohler 25 HP Engine

cqaigy2 and MossRoad​

I agree with both thoughts

"BTW i still think tractors are cool looking."

"I'd much rather drive an old tractor in a parade than my PT425. šŸ¤£"

Similar thought - a PowerTrac is like riding a Scooter. It is a lot of fun as long as your Motorcycle buddies don't see you riding it. :ROFLMAO:

If I was pulling a hay wagon with a PT and my son was using our conventional tractor none of the kids would ride the wagon pulled with the PowerTrac.

But if I was mowing on a steep grade I would prefer the PT.

Summary I need both to fit the requirements. The conventional tractor could be used in parades and hay wagon events. It is time to head to Tazewell and try a few out. I am fearful if I set on the PT1850 I will like it too much

Thanks for empowering me to continue to journey.

/ PT 425 Kohler 25 HP Engine #22  
   / PT 425 Kohler 25 HP Engine #23  

cqaigy2 and MossRoad​

I agree with both thoughts

"BTW i still think tractors are cool looking."

"I'd much rather drive an old tractor in a parade than my PT425. šŸ¤£"

Similar thought - a PowerTrac is like riding a Scooter. It is a lot of fun as long as your Motorcycle buddies don't see you riding it. :ROFLMAO:

If I was pulling a hay wagon with a PT and my son was using our conventional tractor none of the kids would ride the wagon pulled with the PowerTrac.

But if I was mowing on a steep grade I would prefer the PT.

Summary I need both to fit the requirements. The conventional tractor could be used in parades and hay wagon events. It is time to head to Tazewell and try a few out. I am fearful if I set on the PT1850 I will like it too much

Thanks for empowering me to continue to journey.
Maybe you're ready to sit on my 1850. It might fit you just right.

/ PT 425 Kohler 25 HP Engine #25  
On my 2001 model year PT425, Kohler Command CH25, I have the two gear pumps mounted to the engine shaft.

On the other side of the engine, the screen has been removed and an auxiliary stub shaft is mounted the flywheel. That drives the variable volume pump.

So I'd need a replacement engine to be able to do that.

Looks like this:

View attachment 708434
Moss, I think a lot (most?) small engines have that option as a native part of their design. I'm pretty sure this isn't a special option unless you want a screen with an appropriate cutout.

But why go with another brand? Until relatively recently, EVERY larger commercial piece of equipment came with a Kohler engine. For B&S to even get into the game, they had to buy some lawn mower companies...Simplicity, Snapper, Ferris, etc.... Initially, their larger displacement engines were made in Japan if I remember correctly. However, as we've seen with the Subaru, this isn't a guarantee it will work well in any application. The commercial mowing guys were regularly getting 4000 hours out of your generation Kohler. That's fantastic for an air cooled engine (although I'll admit the canister air filters with precleaners probably helped a lot).

I haven't heard much about the newer Kohlers. Maybe the B&S is better now (it wouldn't surprise me if Accountants or Marketing people are in charge) but, I can tell you from personal experience, it isn't real easy to put in a different engine. I needed a lathe to make the adapter, and mill to drill the proper bolt circle and a LOT of trial and error to get everything else to fit. It's fun work but if you need your tractor every week, it seems like an unnecessary risk/aggravation.

Just to be clear, I'm not brand loyal. Those old B&S 3.5 HP engines were fantastic. I even have a Chinese B&S on a cheap plate compactor that works extremely well. Starts every time with 3 year old gas. But don't get me started on Honda engines. They are SO sensitive to old gas. I have two on power washers and need to clean the carbs every year. Even using gas additive, next year it starts with the usual rev up, slow down, rev up, slow down. I even threw away another one because I got tired of the carb work every year.

/ PT 425 Kohler 25 HP Engine #26  
Some of the older Kohler Command CH and CV series motors had issues with head gaskets going bad and leaking oil either into the cylinder or externally. This is a nuisance time consuming repair but rest of the engine is bullet proof.
Interesting comment. I had an oil leak around one head for quite a while, and thought it was the head gasket. Last time I ran the PT425, it was literally blowing oil all over the inside the engine compartment, and engine was running rough. Called around to find someone to repair it but my go-to guy closed shop and could not find anyone else willing to work on it unless purchased at their store. So, decided to first try replacing valve cover gaskets. Took off both covers and upon inspection, found both had multiple small cracks around the mounting bolts. Ordered and installed new valve covers and now the engine seems to be running more smoothly, and no leaks yet.