PT braking on downhill steep slopes

/ PT braking on downhill steep slopes
Good info Charlie. Sounds like a good idea to use a quick attach hitch setup. Using the hydrolics to dump the trailer would really come in handy. My back feels better already.
Thanks all!

/ PT braking on downhill steep slopes #12  
There is a post in the safety forum, subject, rollovers. A post by Rocky2 where he laid his Kubota on it's side.<font color=blue>"In my over and under estimating I loaded my 7x12 utility trailer with redbricks, not a complete load but quite a few. In moving from point A to point B and down grade C basic physics took over."</font color=blue> This might interest you. However you decide to move those rocks, PLEASE, be careful.

/ PT braking on downhill steep slopes #13  
<font color=red>PLEASE, be careful.</font color=red>

I had the immense pleasure of surviving a learning experience many years ago when I rather abruptly stood a tractor on end carrying a scoopfull in the rear mounted bucket. The lesson I keep reminding myself was to NEVER think you can push to the limits and react with the right move. In my case simply hitting the clutch was the right move. My reactions were pretty quick but by the time my leg extended the clutch pedal had gone off in another direction. This stuff happens RIGHT NOW and throws your body off balance long before you can do the right thing. It was a sobering humbling experience. John

/ PT braking on downhill steep slopes
ByuBill,
Your point is well taken. That experience i shared with the lumber was 4 or 5 years ago. Since then I've hauled rock down this slope with my ATV and trailer. I know how the leaf springs sit with a "okay" load for traversing the hill and I am very careful not to exceed or push that limit. Saftey points by all posters are appreciated; and taken to heart. Though we think of these as fun and our "toys", this is dead serious business. I have never had a tractor with a seat belt (so far I've had an 8N and a 17hp Mitsubishi); but I'm guessing my new tractor will have one, and ROPS. I plan to wear that seat belt as has been recommended by many experienced users. Wtih that head banger on the PT425, its like they are reminding you every time you hit your head " hey dummy, put on that seat belt".
That reminds me, one feature I'm not so crazy about on the PT425 is the roof attached to the ROP. Doesn't seem like something that could be easily removed. At times I prefer to have the sun shine on me; so, i wouldn't want to do without the ROP, but I'd like mine to be a convertable sometimes. Maybe this something I'll ask when i make my trip to da factory.
Happy and Safe Tractoring to all.

/ PT braking on downhill steep slopes #15  
Power Trac Canopy/FOPS

Grey:
I doubt you'll get much encouragement from Power Trac re a removable canopy. Although I think the 422 is still available without one, when they install one, they deliberately make it heavy and firmly attached to take care of those instances where you manage to drop a tree limb or other falling object in the area that otherwise would give you a headache. As the salesman pointed out when I hit my head on the 1845's canopy at the factory: "You learn not to do that." Since I'm a slow learner, I got some pipe insulation at Home Despot, which self adhered and made it less painful when I hit my head getting on or off. I'm happy to say the frequency of that occurrence is decreasing.