PT422 using oil - Filter loose

/ PT422 using oil - Filter loose #1  

BobRip

Elite Member
Tractor
2000 Power Trac 422
I went to change my oil filter yesterday and when I loosened it, no force was required from the oil filter wrench. I am hoping this was the cause of my high oil consumption. It was using abut 1/3 of a quart per hour. I have about 1100 hours on the Robin engine.

/ PT422 using oil - Filter loose #2  
I don't know the design but would you have not noticed the oil in the bottom of the pan? Well, on my tractor you wouldn't but....

/ PT422 using oil - Filter loose
I don't know the design but would you have not noticed the oil in the bottom of the pan? Well, on my tractor you wouldn't but....

I should have and did not. It is hard to see down in that area. I feel stupid about this, but maybe somebody will benefit from my findings.

/ PT422 using oil - Filter loose #4  
I should have and did not. It is hard to see down in that area. I feel stupid about this, but maybe somebody will benefit from my findings.
I know i'll be looking for sure it i start to lose oil. I just changed my oil and noticed the filter coming off wasn't all the tight. Im going to check to next time i go to start it up.

/ PT422 using oil - Filter loose #5  
hey Bob don't beat yourself up......I've had it happen to me a couple of times......seems no matter how tight I crank it on over time the heat and vibrations loosen it.......I usually notice a lose of power to the wheels as the clue it's happened......I probably should put it on the 10 hour checklist.........Jack

/ PT422 using oil - Filter loose #6  
Oil filter mounts are generally machined, and I have one machine (A Kohler Engine) where it does not meet up correctly. Machining is a bit off. Only solution is to overtigthen. I don't think the oil filter mount is removeable but probably wrong.

Anyway, just saying the mounting can be bad / wrong / warped/ whatever.

/ PT422 using oil - Filter loose #7  
If anyone's interested... Kohler makes a remote engine oil filter mounting kit. Similar to this. You'd have to search for your specific Kohler needs. Anyhow, there may be something similar for a Robbin out there?

Kohler 247;)2S Remote Oil Filter Kit

/ PT422 using oil - Filter loose
I mowed for about 1.5 hours yesterday and the level dropped about 1/4 of the range between the high and low marks. I don't think this tells me much at this time. I will keep you updated. Thanks for all the comments. I have used Mobil 1 and changed it and filter every 50 hours since the engine was new. It seems to me it should not be using much oil and 1100 hours. It still runs good.