PTO Issues on LS 3033

/ PTO Issues on LS 3033 #1  

CapnBly

Tractor
LS 3033
Just joined the forum and I'm really happy to be accepted on here. I have a question about a PTO issue. I have an LS G3033 and the PTO is not engaging. When you turn the switch on, the light comes on on the dash as though it is engaged, but nothing happens. I checked the fuse on the firewall (10amp) and it's fine. I checked the solenoid toward the rear of the tractor that mounts on the little metal shaft on a "hydraulic type box" and when the PTO switch is engaged, there is magnetism in it. I pulled that entire "hydraulic type" box (not sure what it's called) that the solenoid is hooked to, cleaned all of the ports in it and put it back together; hooked everything up and still nothing. One thing I should note is that when I took that box off, there wasn't much oil in it and I'm not sure how much should be in it. I would just about assume it should pour oil out when disassembled. Oil dipstick in the rear of the tractor shows full. Subsequently, I took the hydraulic box back off, took the plungers and springs out of it and closed it back up. I was thinking that if the solenoid or something in that box was an issue, it might "bypass the switch" and the PTO run full time (I hope that part made sense). Still nothing.

On another note....the PTO shaft is not able to be turned by hand at any point, so I'm not sure if it's supposed to "freewheel" when not engaged or if it pretty much stays locked. I also read that a weak battery could cause it to not work, but when the engine is running, my battery is showing 14.40 volts.

If any of you have some ideas or have seen this before, I would greatly appreciate anything you have to offer because I'm at a loss and this is about what I feel like o_O.

Thanks

/ PTO Issues on LS 3033 #2  
No, I haven't seen it. The only PTO shafts I've worked on were all the manual collar shift type where a lever moves a gear to engage the splines on another gear. When disengaged, the PTO shaft shafts turned freely. But it's also reasonable that there could be some friction mechanism that would prevent a PTO shaft for just idly rotating. So not sure if that means anything.

There are still a few tractors that use a live transmission-driven PTO. Is yours one of them? Not commonly seen anymore, but in those, the PTO will not turn unless the tractor is moving, or transmission is in neutral with PTO engaged and engine running.

I guess first thing is a need to know if the hydraulic box is getting any pressure. Sounds like not.
BTW, there was a thread here on TBN in which we discussed simple hydraulic test gauges.

This is about where I am hoping someone has a shop manual with the hydraulic schematic or hints. I just don't know anything specific to the LS. But it sounds like you can figure it out.
Good Luck,
rScotty

/ PTO Issues on LS 3033 #3  
On an independent electric over hydraulic PTO like this there is often a PTO brake which will be on when the PTO is off. So you won't be able to turn the PTO stub on the tractor with the PTO off. On my Branson the PTO has an additional two speed transmission with a neutral. If that trans is in neutral the PTO stub can be turned but not when it is in gear.

The "hydraulic type box" is probably a solenoid controlled valve which routes oil pressure to the PTO clutch when the PTO is switched on. On modern CUTS that oil pressure often comes from the steering pump.

At this point you need a shop manual.