PTO Output Shaft Covers?

/ PTO Output Shaft Covers? #11  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( ....I hate the caps with a bolt on each side. )</font>

Just had an idea. Why not get a threaded "stud" to replace the bolts, put a nut on it to hold the plate, and then another nut (wing nut?) to hold the PTO shaft cover, or even drill holes in for pins.

/ PTO Output Shaft Covers? #12  
hi guys:

my JINMA has a STEEL PIPE / covered on the end and threaded on the other end, like described by the gent above, it threads into the housing over the PTO shaft. takes about 10 sseconds to secure it to the tractor. it also has a loarge square NUT cast into it so you can put a wrench on it if need be!? (oh it is a cast hunk probably weighs 4 lbs!) anyhow it works really well you could back the PTO shaft into something and not worry about damage if the cap is on! lol.

/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gifmark M

/ PTO Output Shaft Covers? #13  
Have the dealer mail one to you (on their dime), since they left it off - most likely it was included with the machine when they got it in. If you don't feel like driving the 30 miles, then tell them they need to get your part that is sitting in their shop to you, either by mail or hand delivered. If they're a big enough dealer, they should be out your way on a regular basis.

Even my dealer, who is 45 miles away, comes into my town at least every other week. I didn't get my mid PTO cover with the machine because it was delivered with the mower deck installed. I called asking about it (it's referred to in the owner's manual), so the next time they were in town, they dropped off the cover.

The mid PTO cover is a soft vinyl that just slips onto the shaft and holds by friction. The rear PTO shaft cover is hard plastic with a bolt. I use both of them when the shafts are not connected. I don't mind having to bolt the rear one in, as clean, dirt free splines are more important to me than the bother of threading that little bolt in. I even threw a spare socket into the tool box, so that I have a little more than the bolt head to grab onto when hand tightening it. So far, the bolt has stayed tight, even with all the dirt work I've been doing.

/ PTO Output Shaft Covers? #14  
<font color="blue"> Just had an idea. Why not get a threaded "stud" to replace the bolts, put a nut on it to hold the plate, and then another nut (wing nut?) to hold the PTO shaft cover, or even drill holes in for pins. </font>
I'm just spoiled by the large screw-in cover. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ PTO Output Shaft Covers? #15  
When I got my Boomer there was a plastic screw on PTO stub cover installed and another in the toolbox. I keep mine installed whenever a PTO shaft is not connected to the stub and it does keep all the normal grime from building up on the stub..

/ PTO Output Shaft Covers? #16  
All my ford / nh tractors came with covers.. some were plastic.. some were cast aluminum.. some were cast iron.

Soundguy