PTO Sleeve

/ PTO Sleeve #11  
It's wobbling pretty badly. Are there any replaceable parts inside, or should I just pick up a new one?

That big ol' set screw is a bear... I'm not sure how I'm going to get that bugger out...

How does that thing work anyhow?

it works like a ratchet wrench.. driven in one direction.. freewheels inthe toher.

they wear out when yo don't grease them.. or with extended use.. just like anything else..

get a new one.. no real user sericeable parts inside.....

soundguy

/ PTO Sleeve #12  
I used to replace the roll pin inside (the roll pin holds the inner assembly on the PTO shaft)often enough to keep a few on hand. It would wobble because the pin would crack while bush hogging. Pop the zerk and screw, line up the holes and drive out the old pin and tap in a new one.

/ PTO Sleeve
Got the ORC off... Pin drove out just like you guys said. I'll check the pin later
to see if it indeed looks broken(although I didn't see multi-pieces) or the unit
is toast.

One thing I noticed when I took the clutch off was how short the pto shaft is
on the 8N. I don't think my bush hog would even hook up. I wonder if the clutch was on there simply to make it usable with modern drive shafts.

Also, the inside lip of pto housing is threaded. What was that for?

/ PTO Sleeve #14  
There use to be a dust cap similar to the front wheel caps for the pto. Was a nice feature used mine to stop a leak till I had a chance to replace the seal.

/ PTO Sleeve #15  
Got the ORC off... Pin drove out just like you guys said. I'll check the pin later
to see if it indeed looks broken(although I didn't see multi-pieces) or the unit
is toast.

One thing I noticed when I took the clutch off was how short the pto shaft is
on the 8N. I don't think my bush hog would even hook up. I wonder if the clutch was on there simply to make it usable with modern drive shafts.

Also, the inside lip of pto housing is threaded. What was that for?

the 8n oem pto is a 1 1/8" 6 spline stubby job.. the sae standard that came out later and is now common for 540 is 1 3/8" 6 spline.

many people use a 1 1/8 to 1 3/8 orc to make the jump, vs buying a new pto shaft assembly... orc is 45-65$.. pto assy is about 120$ for a new shaft bearing and carrier.

soundguy