PTO won't quit turning when disengaged on Ford 5000 Diesel

/ PTO won't quit turning when disengaged on Ford 5000 Diesel #1  

browndd1

Does anyone know how to change out the brake on the pto on a 1972 Ford 5000 Diesel Tractor? I am assuming the brake needs attention because the pto keeps turning when disengaged.

Thanks

/ PTO won't quit turning when disengaged on Ford 5000 Diesel #2  
Does anyone know how to change out the brake on the pto on a 1972 Ford 5000 Diesel Tractor? I am assuming the brake needs attention because the pto keeps turning when disengaged.

Thanks

Our 5000 was a 1966 and the brake was spring loaded plunger that could only be accesses by removing the top of the tranny housing. I.e. the seat deck.

This brake was pretty weak especially if it was being used on a silage blower. with lots of rundown inertia.

On a 72 they may have changed to a brake band. I know our 1978 5600 had this. It was a much better brake than the 5000

Roy

/ PTO won't quit turning when disengaged on Ford 5000 Diesel #3  
I think you'll need to pull the hyd top cover not the trans top. 2 different compartments.. and since the pto setup is aft of the trans...

here's what the CNH site says about the brake band..

83956644 BAND Band Assy., PTO Drive Clutch Brake, Start Year: 06/01/1973

soundguy

/ PTO won't quit turning when disengaged on Ford 5000 Diesel #4  
I think you'll need to pull the hyd top cover not the trans top. 2 different compartments.. and since the pto setup is aft of the trans...

here's what the CNH site says about the brake band..

83956644 BAND Band Assy., PTO Drive Clutch Brake, Start Year: 06/01/1973

soundguy

Pardon the newbie question....but what is the "CNH" site? New holand?