Pulling a Lxx60 cab roof?

/ Pulling a Lxx60 cab roof? #1  

Fallon

Tractor
Kubota L4060hstc, formerly L3200hst
I need to get into the roof of my L4060 to finish installing my new light bars. I looked in my WSM & found helpful steps like "7. Remove the outer roof (13) of cabin". Anybody know how many or what bolts are involved? Suppose to be a 10 minute job on the 40 series & I'd assume it would be similar for the 60's.

/ Pulling a Lxx60 cab roof? #2  
I've done it on an L5740, so hopefully the same?

Inside the cab, all around the perimeter, are a bunch of bolts. 10mm if I recall correctly. Most, but not all get removed. The hardtop has captive nuts molded into it, and the bolts are machine screws, so once loose, will unscrew by hand. If any of the bolts continue to pose resistance, then they are probably NOT the bolts you need to remove. Once they are all removed, the top just lifts off, but a helper will make it easier, including a check to be sure you got all the bolts out.

Note that the top os a molded shell - like two halves of a clam shell, and you really can't get into it. The only access is through the vent filter at the very rear, and it offers very little access. I'm not sure how you plan to afix your light bar, but if you were planning to thru-bolt it to the top, it probably won't work since you can't access the hollow interior.

/ Pulling a Lxx60 cab roof? #3  
I just checked out your other thread. If all you are doing is fishing wires through the hardtop it will probably be fine. Just be sure to seal up any openings because any water than gets in teh top has no way to get out - at least until it accumulates enough and sloshed down throught the air vent. Don't ask me how I know......:-(

/ Pulling a Lxx60 cab roof?
The light bars are already mounted. The front has brackets to the rear view mirror frame, which is welded to the ROPS. The rear is mounted to the arms for the rear hazard lights. I was going to drill holes in the frame next to where the hazard lights go through the frame & grommet it in a similar fashion.

Do you have to pull the head liner to see the bolts? Looked all around mine & there is nothing on the outside & inside there's a dozen or so plastic tabs on the head liner, none look likely to be covering bolts that would attach the roof. I need to grab a photo, but I'm sensing it's rather different than the Lxx40's.

When I was installing the radio there looked to be enough room beside it between the head liner & roof to hide my relay box. Might have to cut a hole & put an access panel of some sort there, but I think it should work. Its also near where I need to run the lights.

/ Pulling a Lxx60 cab roof? #5  
That does sound different. No need to remove any interior anything on the xx40.

Do you have a parts book? They are often more helpful than the workshop manuals.

/ Pulling a Lxx60 cab roof? #6  
My L5740 had a lot of recessed bolts holding the cab roof. My replacement L6060 has the buttons around the edge in the approximate positions of the previous recessed bolts. I assumed they were decorative plugs one needs to remove to access the bolts. I can't think of any other way the roof would be secured. Removal of the L5740 was very quick and easy and provided great access to track down wires, etc.

The light bars are already mounted. The front has brackets to the rear view mirror frame, which is welded to the ROPS. The rear is mounted to the arms for the rear hazard lights. I was going to drill holes in the frame next to where the hazard lights go through the frame & grommet it in a similar fashion.

Do you have to pull the head liner to see the bolts? Looked all around mine & there is nothing on the outside & inside there's a dozen or so plastic tabs on the head liner, none look likely to be covering bolts that would attach the roof. I need to grab a photo, but I'm sensing it's rather different than the Lxx40's.

When I was installing the radio there looked to be enough room beside it between the head liner & roof to hide my relay box. Might have to cut a hole & put an access panel of some sort there, but I think it should work. Its also near where I need to run the lights.

/ Pulling a Lxx60 cab roof? #8  
My L5740 had a lot of recessed bolts holding the cab roof. My replacement L6060 has the buttons around the edge in the approximate positions of the previous recessed bolts. I assumed they were decorative plugs one needs to remove to access the bolts. I can't think of any other way the roof would be secured. Removal of the L5740 was very quick and easy and provided great access to track down wires, etc.

That would make a lot of sense.

FYI, you pull all the caps inside the cab & remove the 9 bolts there, leave the Philips slot covers alone. Then there are a handful of short black bolts on the black cover outside on the back that hold the black panel to the roof as well. I pulled the roof off solo, but it was pretty awkward. Not that heavy, just awkward.

Plenty of room up front for my fuse & relay box.
20170220_122636.jpg

/ Pulling a Lxx60 cab roof? #10  
I am getting interested in adding a front lift bar also. Thanks for the picture and info about pulling the cab lid.