Purging new fuel tank?

/ Purging new fuel tank? #1  

scoutcub

Veteran Member
Tractor
Yanmar LX4900//Cub 7532//Cub Yanmar SC2400//Komatsu D38//Cub Volunteer//Cub SZ60/CAT 289C/CAT 308
Just scored a great deal on the tank and stand. It's been sitting for several years....what's the best way to purge? Kerosene? It has been empty, but when I released the nozzle, some ugly stuff came out....(maybe a pint)
Also, any good sources for hoses? Does TSC carry this stuff? TIA!

Attachments

• 2010 141.jpg
    2010 141.jpg
    649.5 KB · Views: 658
   / Purging new fuel tank? #2  
Just scored a great deal on the tank and stand. It's been sitting for several years....what's the best way to purge? Kerosene? It has been empty, but when I released the nozzle, some ugly stuff came out....(maybe a pint)
Also, any good sources for hoses? Does TSC carry this stuff? TIA!
A little Kerosene in diesel will not hurt a thing.
In fact winter diesel is nothing other than summer diesel with a little Kerosene mixed up in it.
I get my fuel line hoses at a local Auto parts store.

/ Purging new fuel tank? #3  
Kerosene works will on plastic also metal plus couple of ball bearing/marbles,rattle them around than remove ball bearings/marbles follow by good psi air spray than good kero washing.

/ Purging new fuel tank? #4  
You might have a hard time trying to totally flush and clean a fair sized tank. What is it you have?, a 300 or 500 gallon size? Set your tank on the stand so that it will be an inch or so, maybe even more to a forward slope. If it was me, I'd dump in a gallon of gas on the far end with the outlet valve open, the hose off. Assuming you will have a regular canister filter and water catch devise on that tank, just check it real often at first, draining off any water, and changing that filter if it gets crudded up at the first. Gobble-de-gook rusty stuff will settle back down after the driver fills your tank, and eventually you will drain off most of it through your tank filter. Just a thought, but using fuel to flush at 3 bucks a gallon will buy some filters.

/ Purging new fuel tank? #5  
Nice find. They can not be had around here. I ended up making my own out of a 300 gallon plastic tote about 7 years ago. I got my hose and nozzle along with a filter and base at TSC. It cost about $150 for everything, not cheap.

My filter has a drain on the bottom I can open up a few times a year and drain some off to check for water and debris. I always keep a spare filter on the parts shelf.

I would just do as others have said and set it up and let is set for a few days, pour in a few gallons of fuel to clean it out, then have it filled. You will have to change the filter after a few hundred gallons but should be good after that.

Most of the tanks I have seen have the outlet bung about 1" up off the bottom so it allows for the crud to settle out and never even get to the outlet so the big stuff will never come out.

Chris

/ Purging new fuel tank? #6  
Are there top openings? Turn it upside down and spray the interior w/ hot water and dawn dish soap...let it drain & dry.

Know any place w/ a boiler and a steam hose? Steam would open the pores of themetal and really clean it out, that was one of the steps we used to clean chemical tank trailers.