Pushing back the woods

/ Pushing back the woods #21  
Mark -

I somehow missed your post with the "tree getter" until just now. That's the best gol' darn home-built attachment I've seen yet! /w3tcompact/icons/cool.gif

I already could have used that puppy a dozen times on my property. I just gotta get me a welder! (How many times am I going to say that?)

Thanks for the picts and the specs. I'm filing them away in my "future projects" folder. /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

HarvSig.gif

/ Pushing back the woods #22  
Thanks Harv.

I know the treegetter has really sped up the clearing process for me. I can clear those saplings at least twice as fast by pulling them up and after I get several down, I can turn around and with the rake I built for the FEL bucket, pile them right up. Clearing is [fun] now instead of a chore.
/w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif/w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif/w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif/w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

/ Pushing back the woods #23  
Thank you very much!!!
Your measurements covered my questions!/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif
I printed out a copy for my design as well.

Thanks again
Gordon

/ Pushing back the woods #24  
TM, thanks for the picture. I took it and a drawing with some measurments I came up with down to the boy next door that runs a welding shop, and should have the treegetter runing before next weekend... I post as soon as it gets on the first tree or two.

/ Pushing back the woods #25  
TraderMark,

Great post on the brush rake. This implement project will definitely be added to the job jar. Without knowing the tread width on your tractor, and before taking on the task of building this, I'm curious to know if you've found any advantage to welding the teeth to the full width of the bar. My thinking is that if I can accomplish the same task (removing saplings) with only 2 or 3' of teeth, this would save me some $$$$ for material. The tread width on my machine is 6'. Any thoughts on this?? Of course, I guess if you had a hydraulic top link you could angle the bar and make a nice furrows for planting /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif.

Russ

/ Pushing back the woods #26  
Outstanding!! What a super idea!! There will be one of these in my arsenal of attachments soon!! Thanks for sharing it with us!!/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ Pushing back the woods #27  
jag... the tread on my 1720 is 48 inches and the treegetter I made was only 18 inches wide (6 fingers @3 inches per finnger) and it worked great. I did go back however and add some more fingers because it seemed that every time I was trying to catch a tree with the last finger, the bar would shift or the tractor would ride up on a little mound of dirt and I would miss the tree, have to pull forward and try again, so I make it 36" wide finally.

/ Pushing back the woods #28  
Well it was raining the other day and finally got around to building a treegetter. Used some heavy channel iron for the fingers and box steel for the frame. I made it 48" wide. I've got a few hours using it now and have figured out a couple of things that I should have done different. I angled the tube for the toplink alittle to much and it doesn't allow enough travel for the hydraulic top link. So I'll have to cut it reangle it and reweld it. Also I made the angle on the teeth alittle too wide. On real small stuff it slips through some of the time. Will leave that alone on this one. Will change the angle on the next one I build.

But all in all I'm more than pleased with it's preformance so far. The thing really does preform great. I welded it up with high tensile rod so I know the metal will break before any welds do.

Something else I thought about adding to the next one is a self cleaning feature. Well a handle with a spring for self return inbetween the box steel and the teeth that way you don't have to get off the tractor when it clogs up with little stuff. But I'll have to keep the notch of the teeth at least a half inch away from the box steel to be able to add this on.

Thanks again Trader Mark for the pics
A very usefull tool
Gordon

8-41268-jgforestrytractor.jpg