Ques on 12x12 shuttle shifts

/ Ques on 12x12 shuttle shifts #11  
I agree with Micropilot,

I too also do almost all my loader work in 2nd range. Usually I just leave it in 2nd range, 2nd gear which has a great deal of torque to go into the pile and a decent ground speed to get where you want to go next.

Like Micro said if you have a longer drive before you dump the load you just change gears to 3rd or 4th. With the sychronized transmission this is a split second task that can be done while the tractor is already moving.

I suggest you drive a shuttle shift to get the feel of it and make a decision based on your personal likes and dislikes.

/ Ques on 12x12 shuttle shifts
When you are using the FEL with a shuttle - and say you are filling the bucket with stone and the tractor won't go any furthur into the pile - can you just apply a little more throttle to give the tractor the extra momentum it needs to push into the pile - or must you clutch in and shift down to the next gear ? I would think what a read here so far that you could just giver her a little more throttle to fill the bucket - if so that would be very eqivilent to a hydro where you press a little further down on the pedal.
In the end - I do know I really need to just test drive a shuttle tranny - but this sure helps me out while I am still window shopping to narrow some of my issues down -
Certainly with the Zetors - since there is no hydro option available.

/ Ques on 12x12 shuttle shifts #13  
You can just give er more gas!!

Almost always it is not a matter of power when going into a pile that stops you rather the lack of traction when all 4 tires break loose and spin. This is where the heavy weight of a tractor like the Branson/Century/Zetor or mahindra tractors, to name a few, really pays off. That extra weight directly transmits into better traction. (Of course type of dirt, tires and other things also contribute)

I can honestly say I have never stalled my 45 hp Century tractor. If it starts to bog down just give her more gas and it usually goes forward or starts spinning the tires.

Hope this answers some of your questions.