Question about greasing bearings

/ Question about greasing bearings #1  

AlbertC

Silver Member
Tractor
New holland 3930
I have a double axel utility trailer. I usually use it for relatively short trips a few times a year, maybe 200-300 miles a year. I have two questions:

When I replaced the bearings about 6 years ago, of course I greased the bearings good when I installed them. How often should I grease them and how? Do you just take the cap off any try to smear some grease around the bearing or do you have to remove the bearings and force grease in between the rollers?

I understand there is something called bearing buddies that I think have zirk fitting where you fill with grease from your grease gun. Should I try to install bearing buddies on my trailer or am I just as well off smearing grease on the bearings since I don’t put a lot of miles on the trailer?

thanks

/ Question about greasing bearings #2  
Smearing grease on will do no good. They should be taken apart, cleaned and repacked. At that useage, I'd say every 3 years. I have used, but don't trust Bearing Buddies. IMHO.

/ Question about greasing bearings #3  
Yes of course they should be taken apart, cleaned up and lubed every few years, but who the heck wants to do that on a utility trailer that's used few times a year for short trips!

If it was my trailer, I would just get bearing buddies installed and lube once a year, and monitor hub temperatures after each trip just by touching by hand.
That's what I do on my 7000 lb tandem - HD trailers with frequent use & many miles each year may be different story...

Last edited:
   / Question about greasing bearings #4  
Have a dual axle trailer that is used about 1000 miles/yr. Bearing buddies on all hubs. Hit them with a grease gun once a year and that seems to work well.

/ Question about greasing bearings #5  
there's an inner & outer bearing (i'm told the outer bearing receives more stress than inner but can't confirm). both should be serviced.

have a tandem axle trailer as well, used a lot on dirt roads. jest like my old Massey, from time to time i rock the wheels by hand back & forth. if there's some play, time to service. really quite simple, regards

Last edited:
   / Question about greasing bearings #6  
This is one area I go against my normal over do it mentality. Disassembling and greasing is a huge pain. I have way more important maintenance items that I cannot ignore. So my approach is replace when worn and leave them alone. Your mileage may vary(YMMV).

/ Question about greasing bearings #7  
This is one area I go against my normal over do it mentality. Disassembling and greasing is a huge pain. I have way more important maintenance items that I cannot ignore. So my approach is replace when worn and leave them alone. Your mileage may vary(YMMV).
good point. though should one fail on the road w/a load, well, maybe you can make it back. i just go by play in the bearing & service as needed. regards

/ Question about greasing bearings #8  
I feel every hub immediately after a trip or filling at a gas station.
A warm hub needs service ASAP a hot hub needs service right now.

/ Question about greasing bearings #9  
Every 3-5 years regrease. Greasing bearings when there is not relief port means the grease has to escape past seals. Also, the grease separates. Why have a problem on the road? As good a time as any to inspect your wiring and brakes. It's just maintenance. Not as much harder than greasing the front end of my old Duramax. Or as much harder as it ought to be.

/ Question about greasing bearings #10  
I grease once every couple years on my utility. Now, I also store it indoors on a concrete floor in a dry barn. If I need to ever replace a bearing, so be it... But that may be another 10 years