Question about the 60 MMM on a B7610

/ Question about the 60 MMM on a B7610 #1  

MT_Rob

Tractor
Kubota BX2230
New to the forum but have been searching and reading posts for weeks now and really haven't found the answer I am looking for.

I currently have a BX2230 with the 60" MMM and I am thinking about moving up to a B7610 with the 352 FEL and a 60" MMM.

I am VERY happy with the cut I get using the MMM on my BX, will the 60" MMM on the B7610 give me just as good of a cut as the BX?

I don't have a trophy lawn and the lawn is mostly level except a few small spots in the back yard.

How well do the casters hold up on the MMM on the 7610?

Thanks for any help y'all can give me.

/ Question about the 60 MMM on a B7610
New to the forum but have been searching and reading posts for weeks now and really haven't found the answer I am looking for.

I currently have a BX2230 with the 60" MMM and I am thinking about moving up to a B7610 with the 352 FEL and a 60" MMM.

I am VERY happy with the cut I get using the MMM on my BX, will the 60" MMM on the B7610 give me just as good of a cut as the BX?

I don't have a trophy lawn and the lawn is mostly level except a few small spots in the back yard.

How well do the casters hold up on the MMM on the 7610?

Thanks for any help y'all can give me.

/ Question about the 60 MMM on a B7610 #3  
I just took delivery on the exact package you're thinking of buying. So far I've done about 3 hours mowing with it. I don't know how well the BX mows, but I will say that mowing across a steep grade, the uphill side of the mower appears to cut shorter than the downhill side. This makes for an uneven cut.

Now the disclaimer: I don't know if this can be adjusted out. It seems to me that if all the gauge wheels are riding on the ground that the cut would be even. Apparently something in the mower pickup mechanism is holding the downhill gauge wheel off the ground. I haven't learned the mechanism well enough to know where to go to fix this.

It could be that the natural tendency of the mower deck to shift toward the downhill side of the tractor, preloads the lift mechanism enough to slightly lift the downhill side of the mower. That could be hard to correct.

On flat ground and gentle slopes it does fine. The spring loaded discharge chute does leave a windrow that I don't care for. I'll probably remove that for the next mowing.

Oh, yeah. Welcome to TBN. Lots of good folks here and lots to learn.
Bob

/ Question about the 60 MMM on a B7610 #4  
I just took delivery on the exact package you're thinking of buying. So far I've done about 3 hours mowing with it. I don't know how well the BX mows, but I will say that mowing across a steep grade, the uphill side of the mower appears to cut shorter than the downhill side. This makes for an uneven cut.

Now the disclaimer: I don't know if this can be adjusted out. It seems to me that if all the gauge wheels are riding on the ground that the cut would be even. Apparently something in the mower pickup mechanism is holding the downhill gauge wheel off the ground. I haven't learned the mechanism well enough to know where to go to fix this.

It could be that the natural tendency of the mower deck to shift toward the downhill side of the tractor, preloads the lift mechanism enough to slightly lift the downhill side of the mower. That could be hard to correct.

On flat ground and gentle slopes it does fine. The spring loaded discharge chute does leave a windrow that I don't care for. I'll probably remove that for the next mowing.

Oh, yeah. Welcome to TBN. Lots of good folks here and lots to learn.
Bob

/ Question about the 60 MMM on a B7610 #5  
Hi. First, I've never mowed my lawn with a BX, so I can't help there. I did mow it for 2 seasons with a Toro 520xi and for 3 seasons with a Scotts 1642. (I think that's the number) I've mowed that PAST 2 seasons with my 7610 & 60"MMM. It does as good of a job of mowing the grass evenly and cleanly as either of the other machines, if not perhaps even better. (it def scatters the clippings around more. Like Bob mentioned, with the spring mounted chute, it leaves a pile of grass. I've wedged a small piece of 2X4 between the bracket on the mowing deck and the chute (in upright position). It stays there pretty well and gets the chute out of the way.

Unlike either of the other 2 mowing machines (or the BX for that matter) the B7610 uses a ground contact deck, as you probably know. Yes, the casters hold up really well all around. (I mow my rough field with the same mower. It's quite rough, though the deck takes it in stride.) The only problem is the 2 wheels in the back of the mowing deck CAN create tracks or even marks in soft dirt. It is a heavy deck and "contacts" the ground in basically 4 spots. The 2 casters in the front on the deck, and the 2 (closely spaced) tires in the rear. The casters don't seem to be any kind of prob, but the rear tires....especially in tight turns...will leave their mark in some form. Though this is NOT a problem in the thick areas of my lawn, just the ant-hill infested dirt, or "green leaf challenged" areas.

All in all, I'm happy with the set up. Always wondered if you could put one of those new "turf special" suspended decks on a regular B7610.

-cheers

/ Question about the 60 MMM on a B7610 #6  
Hi. First, I've never mowed my lawn with a BX, so I can't help there. I did mow it for 2 seasons with a Toro 520xi and for 3 seasons with a Scotts 1642. (I think that's the number) I've mowed that PAST 2 seasons with my 7610 & 60"MMM. It does as good of a job of mowing the grass evenly and cleanly as either of the other machines, if not perhaps even better. (it def scatters the clippings around more. Like Bob mentioned, with the spring mounted chute, it leaves a pile of grass. I've wedged a small piece of 2X4 between the bracket on the mowing deck and the chute (in upright position). It stays there pretty well and gets the chute out of the way.

Unlike either of the other 2 mowing machines (or the BX for that matter) the B7610 uses a ground contact deck, as you probably know. Yes, the casters hold up really well all around. (I mow my rough field with the same mower. It's quite rough, though the deck takes it in stride.) The only problem is the 2 wheels in the back of the mowing deck CAN create tracks or even marks in soft dirt. It is a heavy deck and "contacts" the ground in basically 4 spots. The 2 casters in the front on the deck, and the 2 (closely spaced) tires in the rear. The casters don't seem to be any kind of prob, but the rear tires....especially in tight turns...will leave their mark in some form. Though this is NOT a problem in the thick areas of my lawn, just the ant-hill infested dirt, or "green leaf challenged" areas.

All in all, I'm happy with the set up. Always wondered if you could put one of those new "turf special" suspended decks on a regular B7610.

-cheers

/ Question about the 60 MMM on a B7610 #7  
MT_Rob -

I can't compare the mower finish - I've only had my B7610 for the past two years after finally retiring a late 1980's Sear riding mower. But even with a significantly larger machine - I feel the B7610 does an admirable job of mowing - superior IMO - to the old riding mower.

I have a relatively flat property - so can't comment on Bob's experiences on slopes - but like Wayne mentioned - I do have some pretty rough sections of "lawn" that I've reclaimed from overgrown fields. The deck and caster are well built - at least on my 54" deck - I can't imagine the 60" is any different.

Here is a direct link to my mowing pictures on my website. Obviously not the same as seeing it in person - but might give you a sense of the mowing finish.

I also don't have a "putting green" - but when I first got the B7610 - I experimented some with the mowing height. With a lower setting - I got an extremely close cut - but I raised it a bit again because I didn't want the lawn to burn - it was that short - and I don't water 'cause we only have well water.

Hope that helps & welcome to TBN!

Dan

/ Question about the 60 MMM on a B7610 #8  
MT_Rob -

I can't compare the mower finish - I've only had my B7610 for the past two years after finally retiring a late 1980's Sear riding mower. But even with a significantly larger machine - I feel the B7610 does an admirable job of mowing - superior IMO - to the old riding mower.

I have a relatively flat property - so can't comment on Bob's experiences on slopes - but like Wayne mentioned - I do have some pretty rough sections of "lawn" that I've reclaimed from overgrown fields. The deck and caster are well built - at least on my 54" deck - I can't imagine the 60" is any different.

Here is a direct link to my mowing pictures on my website. Obviously not the same as seeing it in person - but might give you a sense of the mowing finish.

I also don't have a "putting green" - but when I first got the B7610 - I experimented some with the mowing height. With a lower setting - I got an extremely close cut - but I raised it a bit again because I didn't want the lawn to burn - it was that short - and I don't water 'cause we only have well water.

Hope that helps & welcome to TBN!

Dan

Thank you all for the info and the Welcome to TBN.

Looks and sounds like I will be happy with the 7610 and the 60" MMM, just the kinda info I was looking for.

Thanks for the help! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Thank you all for the info and the Welcome to TBN.

Looks and sounds like I will be happy with the 7610 and the 60" MMM, just the kinda info I was looking for.

Thanks for the help! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif