question on distributer position 4 cyl gas tractor

/ question on distributer position 4 cyl gas tractor #1  

Roto

Gold Member
Tractor
TC55DA and TC33D
My shop manual on my tractor has a diagram of what plug wires should go in what spots on distributer. Well, on my tractor they are 90 degrees different. I checked the timing and its right on the money and tractor runs great. Im just wondering if its a misprint of some kind or is it possible just different tractors when there set up needs distributer turned more or less to get timing correct so picture just shows it different? i have the right firing order but my number 1 is at the 9 o'clock position instead of 6 o'clock like the book shows.
I put timing light on number one cylinder. I noticed this when i put new plugs and wires on and i followed the way they were. i tried putting them where they said in book and it wouldnt start. i didnt try turning distributer to make in line up that way. maybe that would be differnt. What do you guys make of it??

mike

/ question on distributer position 4 cyl gas tractor #2  
It sounds like someone inserted the distributor in 90º out.

It really doesn't matter which way number 1 is pointed as long as you can adjust the timing and it doesn't interfere with other equipment. You can fix it by removing the distributor and rotating the whole assembly 90º but if it's working correctly I wouldn't worry about it. Just my 2¢.

/ question on distributer position 4 cyl gas tractor #3  
Yeah, I would definitely leave well enough alone, use it and enjoy it. Like stated above the dist position is not critical as long as it can be rotated enough to time the beast. Older ford sixes used the dist to drive the oil pump. If the drive from the dist to the pump came out when you pulled the dist and fell into the pan life would suck unless you had a spare hanging around. Now I don't know how your pump is driven but who needs to know anyway? Listen, as far as those oil leaks and a little puff of smoke are concerned, oil is cheap, smoke keeps the flies away.
/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
Martin

/ question on distributer position 4 cyl gas tractor #4  
Ditto about the distribuitor.. doesn't matter where your number one wire is on the cap, as long as the rotor is pointing at it at tdc on the comp stroke...

Soundguy

/ question on distributer position 4 cyl gas tractor #5  
Someone may have had the distributor in and out before and not got it back in "textbook", and then they found # one cylinder firing stroke by removing #1 plug, putting thumb over plug hole and clicking starter over in jolts till a puff of compression came out, then lining up timing pointer to TDC (which should be pretty close at that point). Then they remove dist. cap and where rotor points is the "new #1" to start the wiring firing order, going in distributor rotation.
We see it all the time on vehicles with distributors at the shop.

/ question on distributer position 4 cyl gas tractor
That was a great description. As long as its timed right on number one spark plug wire it has to be right. Correct??

Mike

/ question on distributer position 4 cyl gas tractor #7  
Yes, but timing it is going to be the trick, since unless they put it in 180* out, the marks on the crank pulley or flywheel are set up for it to be on #1 when you set the timing. Best thing to do would be to pull it and put it in right, then you can put a timing light on it and set it correctly........
Or just leave it alone if it runs ok........ /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

OK now im starting to get confused. i thought this was settled!! The timing is perfect with my timing light on number one spark plug wire. No trick to that. I think most are saying its just fine but now i am starting to wonder here. Is it possible that its giving me unaccurate timing results because the distributer is off 90 degrees? If that is the case then i will try to reset it correctly but i was to believe that if I can time it then i was good to go but i didnt check to see if it was true top dead center by using dial gauge or whatever they call them.

Mike

/ question on distributer position 4 cyl gas tractor #9  
I wouldn't be second guessing if I were you. It appears to run great and the light says it's right. I would leave it alone. I seen them off from just one gear tooth to being 180º out and as I said before, as long as you can rotate the distributor enough to put it in time it's good. If you want some assurances pull the number one plug and turn the engine over till the timing marks line up and the rotor is in the number 1 plug position then check to see if the piston is at the top. You may have to rock the crankshaft back and forth to be sure it's TDC. Then see if the rotor is where it's supposed to be.

One word of caution: if you stick anything in the spark plug hole make sure it will burn up if you drop it in there otherwise you'll be pulling the head to retrieve it. I use either a small wooden twig or a plastic straw because I'm not comfortable sticking anything metal into the cylinder.

I was just looking at your signature and see that you have same stuff i do. I have the tc33d with 7308 loader, R4's and 72" RFM and KK 72" tiller and 12 inch PHD and 84" box is only difference plus 72KK Hd bush hog.

Thanks for the reply. Im not going to mess with it. didnt plan on it but to me its impossible to be out since that pully(balancer or whatever) with timing marks on it has never been off and if number one is firing and marks show its on then distributer doesnt matter so trying to do all that figuring is waste of time just trying to figure why some think it might be tricky.

Mike