Questions about John Deere 5410 - Looking to buy

/ Questions about John Deere 5410 - Looking to buy #1  

LondonDave

Bronze Member
Tractor
John Deere 5410 MFWD, Case IH 5230 MFWD
I'm looking at a John Deere 5410 4wd with 541 loader, power reverser transmission and 8750 hours. I don't know the year of the tractor. I've did some searching and it sounds like it has it's issues like any tractor. I did find something that says the 4.5L engine is very desirable. Is there anything specific about this tractor and transmission that I should be aware of or stay away from? Is there anything that I should look at based on the number of hours? The tractor will be used for general loader works, moving hay, running a bush hog, probably pulling a rake and occasionally pulling a 9 ft disbine.

Thanks

Dave

/ Questions about John Deere 5410 - Looking to buy #2  
Year can bet determined from the serial number. The 4.5 is a good engine. Reverser is desirable for loader work, as is 4wd.
Hours seem high, but I am not sure when it will need an overhaul.
Reversers have a wet clutch which is another plus.

/ Questions about John Deere 5410 - Looking to buy #3  
Wow, that is a lot of hours if the engine has never been rebuilt, I would be amazed.

Do you know the history of what it was used for? If the price is low enough, would you be willing to rebuild the engine?

Pay attention to the cables that:

Put it into 4WD
Turn on the PTO
Connected to the powerreverser.

Never ever never throw the power reverser into park while the tractor is still moving. You can break the pawl and it costs money to fix. Use the brakes.