Quick connect leak on my new fel

/ Quick connect leak on my new fel #11  
<font color="blue">...being "properly" tightened normally eliminates any nuisance leaking/problems... </font>

Hi Mark,

On any hydraulic connector, if too loose... it will leak, and if too tight (crushing/damaging the threads)... it will leak...

and Yes, teflon tape/pipe dope will normally be a "fix" in either case... the only thing I'm trying to convey is... if you apply "42 ft. lbs. torque" as per mfr. fastening instructions versus 135 ft. lbs. damaging the connection or 15 ft. lbs. being not secure... with the connection being "properly" tightened... then all the other "stuff" will be unnecessary...
/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

(or using another extreme analogy - tightening down head bolts requires proper sequence and proper torque... or problems ensue...)

/ Quick connect leak on my new fel #12  
Should't be a problem, wind it clockwise for normal threads so it doesn't unwind on you. Keep the tape a 1/8-1/4 back from the end. Make sure its wrapped tight and don't leave threads/stringer hanging if you tear it. Best to just cut it.

Problem is it takes at least two blind monkeys to install the tape properly. Unfortunately they can't see the other monkey to ask for help. To many peeps have globbed on tape over the end of the threads and ripping it off leaving strings hanging.

/ Quick connect leak on my new fel #13  
John, Shane posted this comment back in the Kubota section about his new L3830 and we mentioned he "snug" up the fittings, I believe I even cautioned against overthightening them. Snug may mean different things to individuals, but for most of us I hope it means "just enough to get it tight". Your right, cranking on a fitting to tight typically will peramanently damage it and actually peel off steel flakes. With the many fittings, hoses, tubes etc on a tractor, it's a wonder we don't have more leaks. I have had great luck with the O ring fittings and prefer them as they also allow any positioning. Permanent fittings generally go flared or compression, require no tape, these are found coming off pumps etc. Many quick couplers still have a tapered female inlet. This is where teflon in my opinion is an absolute neccessity. Mark

/ Quick connect leak on my new fel
I disagree on the need for tape, but to each their own. If you use it, be careful - I sure think that's good advise & worth mentioning, hyd components are spendy to replace! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I just got a big old soybean planter, had to switch hyd ends to match my tractor. Took off the old, and there are honking big globes of dope on the ends of the hose - in where the oil is. Yish!!!! Some blind monkey was at work there.... The dope is about as bad as the tape for hyd components.

As to the leak, how bad & where is it? if it's just enough to collect dust, keep using it. If oil is dripping or running out, then you need to disconnect.

Where exactly is the leak, from the connector, or from some threads around the connector?

Most likely the O-ring in the female part of the connector is the problem. But you could have a scratch or dent on either metal side that causes it also.

--->Paul

/ Quick connect leak on my new fel #15  
I would check the connections between the hose and the quick connector. Is the leak from the connector itself or the threads to the hose?

You will be amazed how many new products have loose fitings.

I recently bought a hay rake, with a hydraulic lift. Got it home and connected it up and after 5 min of use I noted a hydraulic fluid had sprayed all over the three point.
Some turkey did not tighten the connector to the hose properly.
No big deal to fix, just make sure you top off the hydraulic tank if you loose a significant volume of fluid.

Fred