Quick ? on grease fittings..metric or standard?

/ Quick ? on grease fittings..metric or standard? #1  

mauistardog

Bronze Member
Tractor
CK30HST
sorry for the dumb question, but i can't seem to find it in my manual. I assume metric, but you know what happens if you A*S U ME. if someone knows the size that would help also. anyone got any special tricks to clean out the area aroound the fitting that are recessed in. I get alot of dirt/sand and other stuff in there. right now I just use a screw driver and a rag..

aloha
joe

/ Quick ? on grease fittings..metric or standard? #2  
The fittings are metric but not sure of the size. I have only replaced one and just matched it up. None of mine are recessed like you mention and are pretty easy to wipe off unless playing in a mud hole.

/ Quick ? on grease fittings..metric or standard? #3  
I believe that most of them are 10mm. You can buy an assortment pack at Tractor Supply Co.

/ Quick ? on grease fittings..metric or standard? #4  
Had the same question on the original Post. I bought what I thought was sure to match, 10mm grease zerk. but wasn't quite right.
Then tried a 3/8 SAE Zerk...in went in pretty good, but seemed a little loose.
I was surprised the 3/8 was even close, Just knew the zerks on the tractor had to be metric... but so far that's the best fit I have found...Next trip to dealer will see what they reccommend....

/ Quick ? on grease fittings..metric or standard? #5  
They are oddball. The inner zercs where the steering rams hook up the middle of the tractor are really oddballs. Those are so odd and so prone to damage that I bought a few at my local dealer.

Bring the old damage zerc with you to someone who knows what they are doing because close enough is not the right answer.

I use a screwdriver do pull mud out from around the recessed zercs in the loader, usually the bucket ones. You don't need to make the recess totally clean but just provide clearance for the tip of the gun and get the dirt off the zerc tip to avoid injecting the dirt. I really like those recesses in that they protect the zerc.