Quonset on loose rock or dirt???

/ Quonset on loose rock or dirt??? #11  
The blocks are called Perry Blocks. I've seen a few truss arch buildings built on Perry Blocks. Actually, my employer came out and looked at mine and then erected one 200 feet long, 20 feet high and 50 feet wide, open ended on both ends anchored to a Perry Block wall, 2 tiers high on each side.

They store chipped wood in it. One end is processed chips and the other houses a large tub grinder to grind trees into wood chips for their 250 horsepower Hurst Biomass Boiler.

As an aside, mine has never heaved and it's attached to 2x12's. It's never moved at all and it freezes to 48" below grade here in the winter.

Interestingly, mine has no source of heat inside but the sand inside never freezes. There is more than enough radiant convection through the translucent center section to keep it quite comfortable inside all winter.

I fully expect mine to last the full 15 years the warranty covers the cover and possibly more. It's been 4 years now and the cover shows no weathering whatsoever.

/ Quonset on loose rock or dirt??? #12  
yes,for $5000 grand you do not get much. And it is very easy to ruin five grand in equipment. Did you mention the name of the company where you purchased this?

/ Quonset on loose rock or dirt??? #13  
yes,for $5000 grand you do not get much. And it is very easy to ruin five grand in equipment. Did you mention the name of the company where you purchased this?

Actually, I got quite a bit. If I was to have a building that size built (pole barn) it would have been 4 times what I paid.

My wife and I along with one of the tractors and 2 DeWalt 18 volt cordless drill drivers put it up. It took 2 deWalt's because I roasted one.

Everything is included, even the earth anchors and nice hardened magnetic insert screw drivers. Even the duct tape to wrap the joints. They come with a set of engineering drawings that anyone can intrepret.

The hardest part other than building the engineered trusses and standing them was getting the width right. I had the all the trusses up with all the purlins attached and one side anchored and started on the other side when I realized that the bases of the opposing trusses were about 2 feet farther apart than called out. I just used a come-along to pull the not anchored side in to the correct dimension and anchored it. That took a bit of time. Other than that, it was screw, screw, screw and screw some more. The overhead metal corrugated roll up door on one end took a bit of rube goldberg engineering. I had to put the door assembly on top of a round bale stood on end and I lifted the round bale and door into position with a willing helper riding along.

The cover comes in one piece with pockets along the bottom that take galvanized pipe and the the pipe allows attachment of ratchet straps every 8 feet. The straps engage the bottom of the trusses. I threw a BBQ party for the guys at work and 15 of us pulled the cover over (on a calm day) and anchored it. Took about 3 cases of beer and 15 pounds of hamburger....:D

I got the building from Farm Tek in Dwyersville, Iowa. It's a Clearspan Storage Master I wanted the Clearspan specifically because the company I work for supplies the hot dip galvanized steel that they roll form their tubing from. I believe it's Agricultural Supplies, Fabric Structures, Equine Buildings, Grain Storage, Livestock Buildings from FarmTek

I have about the only one around these parts and people stop by and want to see inside all the time. Of course I oblige.

I'm no youngster, probably old enough to be most posters dad on this site and I, I should say we, put the thing up. Granted, it took a summer because it was a weekend and free time thing but if you really put your mind to it, I think you could erect onr in a couple days.

If we can do it, anyone can.

/ Quonset on loose rock or dirt??? #14  
They have a lot of those same type shelters in Eastern Washington along I-90 , and have also seen them in Idaho and Utah , All places that the Wind can scream . As in 5030's case , properly installed it will likely last more than just the 15 year warranty period .

Fred H.

/ Quonset on loose rock or dirt??? #15  
The concrete floor and sill beam are a large part of the load-resistance preventing the arc from spreading out under wind and snow load. I would recommend waiting until you can afford it.

That's the way to go on em', I have helped build a few of them and thats the way we did it.

/ Quonset on loose rock or dirt??? #16  
hi to who ever i have a steelmaster A style building 30' x 50' with 2 ends, 1 solid, 1 cut for a 8'x16' door, and also cut for 1 man door. all door frames , all nuts and bolts, all instructions and blue prints along with insulation and caulking etc........... for sale . this building is complete as far as i know everything but the doors. its new purchased in 2010 , i regret buying it if anyones interested in buying my email is mcneely46@hotmail.com for a price. i can load for you, im located in southwestern pa. thanks

/ Quonset on loose rock or dirt??? #17  
5030, a truss arch I can believe would be fine the way you built it. My stamped plans that came with a steel quonset hut style building were very specific about the role the perimeter wall and floor played in keeping the building up. Just trying to keep somebody from having more issues down the road.... Most if the building companies have some experts on staff, worth asking them as well.

/ Quonset on loose rock or dirt??? #18  
5030, a truss arch I can believe would be fine the way you built it. My stamped plans that came with a steel quonset hut style building were very specific about the role the perimeter wall and floor played in keeping the building up. Just trying to keep somebody from having more issues down the road.... Most if the building companies have some experts on staff, worth asking them as well.

That's a different animal entirely. My arch building (arch) depends entirely on the concrete anchored anchors every 8 feet to maintain the arch itself. The engineered arches will spread if not anchored firmly. I had that problem erecting it initially (as I stated earlier in a post). I found out after the fact that you need to anchor one side and then bring the other side into the drawing dimension, in my case, 42 feet. The per square foot cost justifies the building over conventional construction and in our state, a building not built on poured footers in an ag setting isn't a taxable structure, something I considered in buying it.

My wife has a Klene pipe structure 6 stall horse barn that's built to be moveable and it isn't taxable either. Both are considered moveable structures. Once you put in a concrete floor and rat walls, the structure becomes permenent in our zoning and taxable as real estate.