Rabbit Recipe?

/ Rabbit Recipe? #21  
It would be interesting to know what breed of rabbit you got from your neighbor. Of course, the New Zealand Whites that I raised were bigger that most of the wild rabbits we ate, but things like the Flemish Giants are really big rabbits.

Our Flemish Giant is about 3 foot long when she stretches out.

Attachments

• IMG_1316.JPG
    IMG_1316.JPG
    700.7 KB · Views: 129
  • Licorice_003.jpg
    Licorice_003.jpg
    556.3 KB · Views: 129
  • Pix 013.jpg
    Pix 013.jpg
    293.1 KB · Views: 133
   / Rabbit Recipe? #22  
Our Flemish Giant is about 3 foot long when she stretches out.

Yep, I've seen several of the Flemish Giants; pretty rabbits, and big.

I should add that rabbit in German is 'kaninchen', so at least traditionally, Hassenpfeffer would have meant cooking a hare.

Incidentally, I guess everyone knows that there actually are some considerable differences between rabbits and hares. In fact, the jack rabbit is actually hare.

/ Rabbit Recipe? #23  
Yep, I've seen several of the Flemish Giants; pretty rabbits, and big.

Incidentally, I guess everyone knows that there actually are some considerable differences between rabbits and hares. In fact, the jack rabbit is actually hare.

My wife gave me a dirty look when I read off the recipy for the rabbit stew. LOL It's her rabbit, but it loves me and hates everyone else in the house.

/ Rabbit Recipe?
My mom wasn't pleased either. We kept one of the rabbits I captured. It was an awesome pet. Like a cat but even more friendly. Never left the living room rug that its cage sat on except to get up on the couch to sit next to you. Must be one of the only rabbits to have watched over 300 Yankee games.

/ Rabbit Recipe? #25  

I knew that the jack rabbit is a hare, and I know we have snowshoe hares, not rabbits. But I am not sure I know all the differences between hare and rabbit? What makes a hare a hare I guess is what I don't know?

Here is one definition:

hare
Bounding mammal (in the family Leporidae) whose young, unlike those of rabbits, are born fully haired, with open eyes, and sufficiently advanced to hop about a few minutes after birth. The common hare (Lepus europaeus) is native to central and southern Europe, the Middle East, and Africa; introduced into Australia, it has become a pest there. In North America the jackrabbit and snowshoe hare are widespread. Many other species occur naturally on all principal landmasses except Australia. Hares have well-developed hind legs, and the ears are usually longer than the head. Species vary in length from 16 to 28 in. (40 – 70 cm), without the short tail. Hares in northern latitudes are white in winter and grayish brown in summer; elsewhere, they are usually grayish brown year-round. Hares are primarily herbivorous.

Dave.

Last edited: