RCF2072 Bush hog blades hitting deck

/ RCF2072 Bush hog blades hitting deck #1  

sparky

Tractor
JD 5205
On start up, with engine speed low, the blades are hitting the underside of the deck. Once spinning everything is fine. Damaging the deck! Nothing is loose, blades swing freely. Can't physically get the blade within 3" of the deck manually when shut down. I would not think that they are hitting based on that, but they are! Blades do not appear to be bent but I don't have a new blade to compare to. gear box is not loose.

Thoughts?

/ RCF2072 Bush hog blades hitting deck #2  
If they are truly hitting then something IS bent, broke, and or loose !

/ RCF2072 Bush hog blades hitting deck #3  
On start up, with engine speed low, the blades are hitting the underside of the deck. Once spinning everything is fine. Damaging the deck! Nothing is loose, blades swing freely. Can't physically get the blade within 3" of the deck manually when shut down. I would not think that they are hitting based on that, but they are! Blades do not appear to be bent but I don't have a new blade to compare to. gear box is not loose.

Thoughts?

How many hours are on the cutter?

Blades hiding the deck is almost always caused by badly worn blade bolts. FWIW, blade bolts should be changed when blades are changed.

Also check the deck for cracks where the gearbox mounts. Not uncommon and can allow the deck to flex allowing the blades to hit the deck.

SDT

/ RCF2072 Bush hog blades hitting deck #4  
Most of the time that I have seen blades hitting the deck it is because the nut holding the stump jumper/ blade bar on to the gear box shaft is loose.

/ RCF2072 Bush hog blades hitting deck #5  
Most of the time that I have seen blades hitting the deck it is because the nut holding the stump jumper/ blade bar on to the gear box shaft is loose.

That's another common cause.

Usually, it's noticeable because of the noise created.

SDT

/ RCF2072 Bush hog blades hitting deck #6  
How many hours are on the cutter?

Blades hiding the deck is almost always caused by badly worn blade bolts. FWIW, blade bolts should be changed when blades are changed.

Also check the deck for cracks where the gearbox mounts. Not uncommon and can allow the deck to flex allowing the blades to hit the deck.

SDT

Agree with SDT. And the later post about a possible loose stump jumper main shaft nut. Regardless you gotta solve this one before further use or calamity. The center nut tightness is quick to check (and hopefully it has a cotter key and king nut to prevent much loosening (?) I lean toward worn or loose blade bolts attaching them to the blade carrier. Not real familiar with your RCF2072 but many rotary cutters (Deere and Bush Hog) require VERY high torque on those bolts. More than any hand tools produce and more than most air wrenches so you want to pay attention to the spec sheet on the mower.