Re-thinking geothermal

/ Re-thinking geothermal #81  
Just saw this post and was amazed by the prices I saw for the Geothermal systems :confused2:. I built a new house 5 years ago and put in a Geo system and my total cost for the unit (3-1/2 ton), closed ground loop (2100 feet) and ducting was 15k total. Quite a bit less that the 25-30k mentioned here, and in my rural area we don't have gas so the system has already paid for itself compared to LP. We have a 2000 foot ranch with a full walkout basement (Another 2000 feet) and our highest bill for that meter has been about $140 the middle of winter. As stated by someone earlier, if it is a new install it's hard to beat the payback where I am at.

/ Re-thinking geothermal #82  
Just saw this post and was amazed by the prices I saw for the Geothermal systems :confused2:. I built a new house 5 years ago and put in a Geo system and my total cost for the unit (3-1/2 ton), closed ground loop (2100 feet) and ducting was 15k total. Quite a bit less that the 25-30k mentioned here, and in my rural area we don't have gas so the system has already paid for itself compared to LP. We have a 2000 foot ranch with a full walkout basement (Another 2000 feet) and our highest bill for that meter has been about $140 the middle of winter. As stated by someone earlier, if it is a new install it's hard to beat the payback where I am at.

Yes I wonder if they jack the price up based on the tax credit

/ Re-thinking geothermal #83  
We have a 2000 foot ranch with a full walkout basement (Another 2000 feet) and our highest bill for that meter has been about $140 the middle of winter. As stated by someone earlier, if it is a new install it's hard to beat the payback where I am at.

Heck, that sounds like my electric bill and we have oil heat & hot water!

BOB

/ Re-thinking geothermal #84  
the problem with geothermal where i live (north idaho) is the overall cost. I just completed electrical on a house last year that used geothermal field to heatthe house (i added a 30 amp backup water heater just in case). They told me the system cost them about $24,000 overall .

Now as i see it, even if they cut their power bills by $200/month (and thats a stretch) x 6 winter months (dont need heat in summer) that equates to $1,200 per year. it will take 20 years to pay for itself (less any govt kickbacks). and after 20 years im sure something will be needing repair along the way.

/ Re-thinking geothermal #85  

How much are you paying for electricity there? I bought a two year old existing house with geothermal that's 2300 feet on each floor and the basement is 3/4 below the surface. I also heat 660 feet of garage to 55 degrees. Mine is an open loop system, fed from my well, and it scavenges heat to the domestic water tank. My biggest bill last winter (my first) was $470.00 for two months. I pay a sliding scale from 6 to 8 cents per kwh. I don't know a lot about my system as it's too high tech for me, but want to learn what I can.

/ Re-thinking geothermal #86  
the problem with geothermal where i live (north idaho) is the overall cost. I just completed electrical on a house last year that used geothermal field to heatthe house (i added a 30 amp backup water heater just in case). They told me the system cost them about $24,000 overall .

Now as i see it, even if they cut their power bills by $200/month (and thats a stretch) x 6 winter months (dont need heat in summer) that equates to $1,200 per year. it will take 20 years to pay for itself (less any govt kickbacks). and after 20 years im sure something will be needing repair along the way.

This is why I mentioned that retro-fits are harder to justify than new construction. Mine was a no-brainer to go with geo as new construction. Anything else would have cost me only 5-7 K less, and I'm saving at least $1000 per year in heating costs. 5-7 years later, the extra cost is gone, and we're moving further into the black.

Sean

/ Re-thinking geothermal #87  
My wife and I have an air source heat pump that we are happy with. Much cheaper than a full on geothermal heat pump but more costly to operate. It does save us a bunch on heating cost compared to gas even though our electricity did go up some. A high efficiency gas fired furnace is our back up for when it get below 25 degrees. It might run 4-5 weeks all year.

/ Re-thinking geothermal #88  
Rob

Just found this thread. We built our house last spring, and went with geothermal. We LOVE our system. I live in central NH and had NO problems heating the house ( 2200sqft).

My heating bill for Nov 1 to Apr 30 was $547. That was keeping the thermastat at 72 with NO setbacks. In terms of effeciecny, I figured the conversion to oil would have used about 485 gals of oil ( $1,595 @ 3.29/gal).

The system is quiet, easy maintenance and very comfortable.

Send me a PM and I'd be happy to give you all the details of the system.

By the way, if your house is that air tight, you definetly need an air exchanger. My house is also extremely tight, but I had planned on this and had an air exchanger installed.

/ Re-thinking geothermal #89  
Rob

Just found this thread. We built our house last spring, and went with geothermal. We LOVE our system. I live in central NH and had NO problems heating the house ( 2200sqft).

My heating bill for Nov 1 to Apr 30 was $547. That was keeping the thermastat at 72 with NO setbacks. In terms of effeciecny, I figured the conversion to oil would have used about 485 gals of oil ( $1,595 @ 3.29/gal).

By the way, if your house is that air tight, you definetly need an air exchanger. My house is also extremely tight, but I had planned on this and had an air exchanger installed.

Nice to know,

Who installed it and is it open or closed loop?

Given the size of your house I am thinking you have 2.5 ton.

/ Re-thinking geothermal #90  
Rob

Glad you like your geothermal. We have had ours for 11 trouble free years now. We estimate our heating/cooling costs to be 1/3 of our next best option. The initial cost was very high but if you are preparing for retirement as I am and can afford to pay off the geothermal as I did geothermal is the way to go.