Really Cold Start

/ Really Cold Start #11  
-30C to -40C wind chills up here are normal ... keep my LS4140HC out of the wind, block heater plugged in for 3 hours min., run 5w40 synthetic oil and she goes fine - well after a little bit of a warm up. Have a couple feet of snow this year - man, that cab is handy!

/ Really Cold Start
Nephew’s loader tractor before the Kubota was an IH 766. He says it started okay at super cold temps but the hydraulics wouldn’t work so for winter he diluted the hydraulic/transmission fluid and somehow eliminated the filter. Once he reached 45 he got soft and bought a loader tractor with cab. Transmission has always taken warm up time but works.

/ Really Cold Start #13  
Slowpoke, your profile says you have a Branson. I知 curious if that has one of the Cummins clones in it? Does it use a grid heater instead of glow plugs?
If the Branson dealer had been better, I probably would have bought one.

Cummins engines in Dodge pickups are known to start when cold better than the powerstrokes and duramaxes. I believe a lot of that is due to the higher compression ratio of the Cummins. Glow plug diesels seem to have a harder time when it痴 cold. My Cummins has started at -15F without plugging anything in. Lots of guys will remove the grid heater altogether and they will still start down to about 0*F.
In comparison, a friend has a 6.0 power stroke, and when the glow plug harness wasn稚 plugged back in after a repair, it would barely start at 25*F. It finally started after about 5 minutes of cranking and made a huge cloud of white smoke when it did fire off. Reseated the connector, and it fired right up when cold.

3L,

It is a Cummins. It also has glow plugs. I have no troubles starting mine in winter. The biggest improvement for me was adding the hydro sump heater. I did add an oil pan heater too, just for good measure, but the synthetic engine oil really takes care of that one. But the hydro sump heater means I can actually operate my hydraulics, and move my tractor (HST) pretty much right away. I do let the outdoor timer run the heaters for a couple hours before I try to start it. And once I do start it, I let it idle for a couple of minutes before I bump the hand throttle up to 1500-1600 rpms. I then leave it to "idle" at the faster rpms while I'm doing whatever needs done. If I just let it idle at normal idle speed, the engine will actually lose all it's heat while idling.

I'm very happy with my Branson so far. I did use it to push snow tonight when I got home from work. I had left it plugged in (bypassed the timer) all day today, but it fired right up tonight. It wasn't really very cold though, only -8 F when I started it.