Really would like to mow some grass:

/ Really would like to mow some grass: #11  
I have a JD LX 178,

Here's the problem, starts right up,
mows for 10 to 60+ minutes & then shuts off like it is out of gas, but it isn't

Hope someone can suggest an answer.
I had nearly an identical experience with my JD x394.

When it would start to stall I could hit the choke and it would usually keep running long enough to get back to the garage. I would have to work the choke on/off as I went.

Did a ton of research on web. Checked fuel filter and other possibilities. Wound up buying a new fuel solenoid even though mine appeared to be okay ($13.99 at Amazon).

Disconnected the fuel line from carburetor while it was running. Barely a trickle coming out so replaced the fuel pump ($9.00 - $13.00 at Amazon). Still acted the same way.

Finally I disconnected the fuel line at the filter and blew gently back into the tank. It has ran fine ever since. I suspect something in the tank was partially blocking the outlet. Blowing back in dislodged it SO far (~60 hours of mowing) the problem has not recurred.

That is why I put "blow back into fuel tank" as number one on my list in earlier reply.

/ Really would like to mow some grass: #12  
I got some bad gas that messed with the valves on my Dixon ZTR that has a Kawasaki engine. Cleaned the fuel system and used some Marvel Mystery oil. It runs fine now.

/ Really would like to mow some grass: #13  
If you have non-ethanol available use it. I've yet to have issues with mowers since using non-ethanol.

/ Really would like to mow some grass: #14  
I had bees blocking my fuel inlet from the tank to the line. Sucked them out and refilled with the filter funnel and all was good afterwards.