Rear ballast when using box blade

/ Rear ballast when using box blade #11  
Mechanos, What size is the box blade you're using? Thanks!

/ Rear ballast when using box blade
Mechanos, What size is the box blade you're using? Thanks!

It's a Frontier BB2060... 60". I have an area that I need to dig out a couple feet deep to make a parking area for a trailer. I'm trying to use the box blade to bust up the sod to make digging with the FEL easier. Another thing I was going to try, but did not have time today, was to put some weight in the bucket of the FEL.

/ Rear ballast when using box blade #13  
With my 855 I take one layer at a time. These things are not bulldozers but if you break the dirt loose, you can then scoop it with the box and eventually fill the box over a 10-20ft pass. Next pass you go down a bit more and so on and so forth. This is how I am working it anyways...
I usually put the rippers at the same height as the blade and use the top link to switch between more rippers or more blading.
Hope it make sense and it helps! It takes some getting use to. Good luck!

Yeah, that I plan to do it as well. I just need to get the sod busted up before I can see how it's going to do in the dirt. This stuff is well esstablished and has a dense root system.

/ Rear ballast when using box blade #15  
It's a Frontier BB2060... 60". I have an area that I need to dig out a couple feet deep to make a parking area for a trailer. I'm trying to use the box blade to bust up the sod to make digging with the FEL easier. Another thing I was going to try, but did not have time today, was to put some weight in the bucket of the FEL.

Without FWD, weight in the loader would reduce your traction. But you do have FWD, so some weight may help. My experience when pulling heavy loads has been to "experiment" with the weight in the loader. If I put too much, the smaller front wheels keep turning, but they just don't have the area of the larger rear wheels and will dig themselves into a hole. I've often found that half a load works better than a full bucket. Of course, it also matters what you're placing in the bucket.

Please let us know how you make out.

/ Rear ballast when using box blade #16  
Yeah, that I plan to do it as well. I just need to get the sod busted up before I can see how it's going to do in the dirt. This stuff is well esstablished and has a dense root system.

In a nutshell the sod can be tough to dig through but just keep at it. It won't take very long to get it loosened up. You will then be able to proceed at a more rapid rate moving the dirt. If your rear tires are filled you should be okay with 4x4 and an empty to half full loader bucket.

I would loosen all the material with the boxblade and rippers then use the fel to scoop and transport. Should be faster than digging with the fel and less wear and tear on the machine.

/ Rear ballast when using box blade #17  
I hang 6 suitcase weights on my box blade, which adds about 300 lbs of extra ballast for FEL work. (800 fluid rears + 400 BB + 300 weights)

With the extra weight carried on the box blade I realize improved performance from the BB when working on my gravel road or when using my scarifiers. The scarifiers really penetrate with the suitcase weights hanging on the blade. Likely would work better in sod too. :thumbsup:

...I would loosen all the material with the boxblade and rippers then use the fel to scoop and transport. Should be faster than digging with the fel and less wear and tear on the machine.
That is exactly my plan. Even once I get the sod removed, I'll take a couple passes with the box blade to let the scarifiers break up the top several inches of soil. Then scoop and transport. Actually for this particular task, I kind of wish I just had a bar with the scarifiers hanging from it without the box around it.

I hang 6 suitcase weights on my box blade, which adds about 300 lbs of extra ballast for FEL work. (800 fluid rears + 400 BB + 300 weights)

With the extra weight carried on the box blade I realize improved performance from the BB when working on my gravel road or when using my scarifiers. The scarifiers really penetrate with the suitcase weights hanging on the blade. Likely would work better in sod too. :thumbsup:

The scarifiers have no trouble penetrating the sod as is. Once they're buried and the blade comes in contact with sod, forward progess stops with both rears (diff lock engaged) and one front sprinng. I'm sure added weight to the BB would be beneficial to FEL work, but I don't currently have a penetration problem with the BB.