Grading Rear Blade for BX24

/ Rear Blade for BX24 #1  

bx24d

Silver Member
I'm in the market for a rear blade for snow removal. I would like to buy a rear blade that will work with my current BX24 and that will work well with a B3030 or L3540 if (when) I upgrade in the future. We get a few 8" to 12" storms a year and I would like to be able to use my BX24 now instead of attaching my 6.5' standard plow to my Toyota pick up to clear the paved portion of my 300', slightly hilly dirveway. For the gravel section, I have used a Toro snowblower (when the ground is well-frozen, believe it or not) with the skid shoes set just perfectly to avoid picking up stones.

I'm told now that the BX24 has a limited cat 1 hitch and cannot handle the Woods RB60 or RB72 due to lift height limitations. I'm being advised to buy the RBC60 (estate series). Problem is.......the RBC60 wil be a poor balast and will not be a good match when I upgrade to a larger tractor. Does anyone have any suggestions?

/ Rear Blade for BX24 #2  
I have a 5' full size Kubota BB for my BX24. It does a great job plowing snow.

The old BX's had height limitations, but the new ones will lift most cat 1 impliments high enough.

/ Rear Blade for BX24 #3  
A 5' blade would be too small for a 3030, especially when you angle the blade. I have a 6' and it is a good fit for my 3030.

/ Rear Blade for BX24 #4  
Blades aren't that heavy...and how high do you really need to lift it (just high enough so it doesn't drag during transporting). If you can find a 72" blade, that's what I'd go for...

Caveats:
If you wait until the snow is deep, you'll definitely run out of traction (even with my 790, I start plowing the first passes when the snow reaches 8" in depth...maybe sooner if it's a wet heavy snow)
That big blade is really going to drag your BX24 sideways when you plow.

Of course, I'd sooner plow using the pickup and plow before I bought a blade for a tractor. Warmer, isn't it?

/ Rear Blade for BX24 #5  
I move snow with the 4x4 ATV. I have found is is much faster, and the plow/mount was much less expensive than a comparable setup for the Kubota.

I am extremely impressed how much snow those ATV can push! IMO

/ Rear Blade for BX24 #6  
I couldn't agree more about the ATV for snow removal. I have a 1/2 mile stretch to a paved road from the house and can do 6"-8" of snow in 10 minutes. This includes four passes; back and forth down the center of the road, and back and forth down the sides. The ATV is a Honda 450 Rubicon with a 5' Moose plow. No chains on the Rubicon.

Having said that, here in the U.P. lake effect snow can get pretty heavy. Eventually you run out of road just pushing it to the side and then it is necessary to move the pile back with a blower or thrower. For this I use my chained JD 265 w/48" thrower.

/ Rear Blade for BX24 #7  
Oh, yea, I am a big fan of the blade on my ATV. Much better job, and much more fun. The tractor is great at moving the resultant piles on the side of the drive after they get too big, but a rear blade IMHO is much better off in dirt than snow.
Some times I even plow the road out front, it will heave the stuff like the big plows if you go fast enough.
:D

/ Rear Blade for BX24 #8  
I have a cheap King Kutter 6' rear blade from TSC for snow plowing on my B7800 and it works very well. I live in the mountains just off the north shore of Lake Superior and we get a lot of snow. I also use the rear blade for keeping my trails clear. A 5' blade would have been better for that use or, probably, a box blade would be even better

/ Rear Blade for BX24 #9  
RoyJackson said:
Blades aren't that heavy...and how high do you really need to lift it (just high enough so it doesn't drag during transporting). If you can find a 72" blade, that's what I'd go for...

Caveats:
If you wait until the snow is deep, you'll definitely run out of traction (even with my 790, I start plowing the first passes when the snow reaches 8" in depth...maybe sooner if it's a wet heavy snow)
That big blade is really going to drag your BX24 sideways when you plow.

Of course, I'd sooner plow using the pickup and plow before I bought a blade for a tractor. Warmer, isn't it?
Give me the heater - forget the blade.