Rear Remotes and Other Extras

/ Rear Remotes and Other Extras
Everyone,

Thanks for all of the help and the great pictures. This site is the best thing since compact tractors! Unbelievable picture of the tree stump! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

My boat and trailer weigh between 7000 to 8000lbs. It is a double axle trailer so the tongue weight is reasonable. My driveway does have a slope to it. I always have the option of installing a front-mount hitch on my pickup truck if it is too much for the tractor.

Is a cross drawbar an extra or does it come standard with a 3-point hitch? Maybe I need to add this to my extras list. What do these cost? Is it meant for this purpose and does it come with holes for mounting ball hitches?

Thank You,
Neo

/ Rear Remotes and Other Extras #12  
3ph instead of a proper drawbar

Neophyte,

If the term "cross drawbar" means a bar that attaches to both bottom 3ph links, a word of caution is in order. Since most 3ph's float, if the weight of your trailer ever shifted to behind the axle, the 3ph could not keep the tongue down. Something near the rear of the trailer would probably bottom out. Say two fat guys step on the rear of the trailer to reach for a boat cover, there goes the prop. Or you were moving a dump trailer then dumped the load. Not likely events but it will happen to someone eventually.

John

/ Rear Remotes and Other Extras #13  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( . My driveway does have a slope to it. )</font>

If you plan to play in the winter in Maine, don't forget the tire chains ...

Brad in NH

/ Rear Remotes and Other Extras #14  
You've gotten great answers here. The only thing I have to add is if you're going to be playing in the Maine snow in addition to tire chains, you might want to consider wheel weights or filled tires, too.

/ Rear Remotes and Other Extras #15  
Yup - filled rear tires and 1,000 lb backhoe work for me ... /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Brad in NH

Re: 2\" Receiver Adapter (Reese Hitch)

In my original post, I had referred to a Reese Hitch (2" Receiver) Adapter for a tractor. Originally, I was asking about one for the FEL bucket. Have not seen anything along those lines but I did find something for the 3-point hitch. Here is the link if you are interested. It allows you to swap 2" receiver devices with your truck (1-7/8" balls, 2" balls, 2-5/16" balls, pintle hooks, cargo carriers, etc.).

http://www.badriverinc.com/prod02.htm

/ Rear Remotes and Other Extras #17  

I have a home-built version of this for my JD2210. It was a 2" receiver Reese hitch from a late-model Chevy tracker. Cut it down to 26" and added a post for the center link. Got side pins from TSC. With 240 lbs in the FEL, I have moved my 6000 lb travel trailer (very slowly and carefully I might add and only on level ground....keep the front low with jack only 2-3 inches above the ground). I am also planning to get a 24 X 60 inch "tote" that I can plug in the receiver for carrying firewood/etc. Works great.

Here is another supplier for the 2" receiver adapter for a 3-point hitch. It is more expensive than the one from Bad River but it is made in the good old State of Maine! Just saw one on a tractor today at Kramers (New Holland dealer). They have them for sale at Northern Tool and DR Country Home Products.

FLExpoint from Summit Fabrications

$199.99 from Northern Tool /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Pricey little puppy.