Rear Tiller for 4WS

/ Rear Tiller for 4WS #1  

varmintgitter

Tractor
X324
Do they make any rear tiller for an X584 or X734? I currently own an X324 and am in the process of upgrading to an X584 or X734 to reduce my mowing time. However, if they make a tiller for either model that would be nice, but not a deal breaker if they don't. Just curious if anyone knows.

/ Rear Tiller for 4WS #2  
Any 48" 3pt. tiller should work if you install the 3pt. hitch and rear PTO kit, I have the X739 and both those kits are easily installed. The PTO kit is around $1,000 and the 3pt kit was 5 or 600 when I installed it 5 years ago.

/ Rear Tiller for 4WS #3  
I never had a problem with my AWS and tiller 20 years ago. But there was some frustrating moments. People like to plant potatoes in the little furrow the JD 450 tiller left, and they like straight rows. It takes some practice to till a straight line with an AWS tractor because ANY movement of the steering wheel will be extremely compounded at the rear of the tiller, making crooked rows.

Keep in mind that the tractor has hydraulic steering, not power steering like an automobile. The wheel is always turning, even when you are driving a straight line.

I imagine it is a little like landing a plane on an aircraft carrier with it's jaunt to the side runway.

/ Rear Tiller for 4WS #4  
The wheel is always turning

Albeit ever so slightly.. and when the AWS is used for mowing lawn, keeping a straight line is not difficult if you look ahead and not just down at the ground close to the tractor.

/ Rear Tiller for 4WS
Well, as the op, I decided to go with the X590. Although, it is not 4WS, which is what I was leaning towards (previously owned a X324), I liked the fact that I did not have to spend an extra $4k to get an X700 series so that I could till a garden. I was so impressed with the additional speed of the X590 over the X324 and going from 48" cut to 54" cut, that not having the 4WS seemed irrelevant. The X590 can mow in a tight enough radius around nearly everything I have without having to revisit it a second time. If that was not enough to convince me to get the X590, my son (who is studying mechanical engineering) convinced me to get the X590 over the X584, since it also had EFI.

So today was my first time mowing with the X590. Oddly enough, for all the years I've known the neighbor this was the first time that he came over to stop me and ask for my help. His zero turn with turf tires partially slid down a ravine. That sort of made me happy I had the HDAP tires as we both live next to a ravine.

So, in summary, although I wanted to stay with 4WS at either the X500 series or X700 series level, other factors played into my decision to get the X590.

1. Roughly $4000 cheaper than an X700
  2. Can still acquire a rear tiller for an X590 that you can not with an X584
  3. HDAP tires standard on X590
  4. EFI on X590 that is not available with an X584

BTW, I was extremely impressed with the Accel mower deck. I hardly noticed any clippings. The X324 that I just got rid of (year 2007), always left behind huge clusters of clippings unless I stayed on top of the mowing every 4 days.

Regarding a tiller, there is a 42" hydralic tiller available for the X590, but it costs nearly $2000, so that will have to wait. I will most likely get a snow blower as well (live in northern Ohio), but for now I have an atv with a plow to handle that.

/ Rear Tiller for 4WS #6  
Good choice, EFI is the way to go. Carburetors are so old school. Have fun.