Rebuild or Replace

/ Rebuild or Replace #1  

dto

Hi,

I have a Kioti LB1914 that needs some work. Everything was running fine and then there's a knock in the engine...

With the help of a friend who has some basic engine knowledge I have found the piston pins are loose and need replacing, the crankshaft bearings have been pounded out and the crankshaft is scored. Too me a non-technical person this seems really bad.

My friend indicated the bits of bearing that got pounded out may have caused other damage ... further dismantling would be required to find out.

What are the chances a rebuild would be an option, what would be involved ... or should I just buy a replacement engine?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Dan

/ Rebuild or Replace #2  
when I talked with jon at depratt equipment a while back we where talking about the cost of parts ects. If I remember right the cost of rebuilding and the cost of a new engine where close. specialy if you count your time to do all of it. we were talking about the 3054 so the 1914 shoud be close. I would check on the price of getting another engine. just my opinion. mark

/ Rebuild or Replace #3  
How many hours were on the engine? Did you buy it new, or used from another party? I'm sure you took very good care of it with oil changes, and new filters.

/ Rebuild or Replace #4  
From the sounds of the damage so far I would go for a rebuilt engine as repairing yours will require almost all the same work.

Egon

/ Rebuild or Replace #5  
I replaced the engine on my LK3054 after a rod let loose. The hour meter was broken so I had no clue as to the number of hours on the engine. I also had no knowledge of the level of maintenance performed by the prior owner(s). I couldn't be happier with the new engine. Nothing beats new and the cost differential between rebuilt & new was estimated at around $500. Well worth it in my mind but that's me. Rebuilding also takes a lot of time. Transplant went quick (about 8 hours total) once the engine was delivered (we won't discuss how long that took) and there's nothing worn to worry about down the line. If you intend to keep the machine a long time, I vote for the replacement. Good luck.

/ Rebuild or Replace #6  
I guess it really depends if you are capable of rebuilding an engine. I don't mean that in a condoscending way either. just because you own a tractor doesn't mean you like to get all greasy....like me. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif From you description and having rebuilt a few hundred engines I would say this would could be an easy in frame rebuild job. Out of all the diesel and gas engines I've rebuilt I've never seen a bad (totally worn out) piston pin or wrist pin. Even with burned up pistons. You didn't say if you have already taken this apart and inspected it or just pulled the pan. The shell bearings are made to take the abuse and save the crank. Any metal chips fall in the pan, get sucked up my the oil pump then are directly trapped in the filter. Easy to pull the cover from the oil pump and inspect it. I think more people replace oil pumps than are needed to. If you have a lot chips in the pan then this is not really a bad thing. just the bearing doing what they do. So you could be looking at just bearings, pins and maybe rings while you are pulling the pistons. Even a little scoring on the crank can be polished out with some emery cloth. If you pull a crank and take it to a machine shop to be "polished", all they do spin it on a lathe while a 1" piece(wide) of emery cloth on sort of a chain saw looking device runs over the journals. Takes them about 10 minutes on a small crank. You can do this on the tractor as I have done on my BIL's jd350. Usually the mains aren't near as bad becuase they are better supported.

Sounds like this engine was poorly maintained or maybe run a little low on oil. This and/or high hours is usually the main cause of rod bearing failure. But could also be a defect from the factory.

I'd tear it down and take a further look. It might not be as bad as you think. Of course if you have the resources to buy a new one then that's a different story. I'd rebuild it but that's just me, the fellow who you would take it to anyway. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

It can be a lot of fun to!

Good Luck,
Rob

/ Rebuild or Replace #7  
Hi,
The difference in cost for a new Daedong engine and an domestic rebuilt is going to be very little. The new engine will have a Kioti 12 month warranty. I replaced the same engine for a customer last year and it was the same engine as the newer CK20 the cost for the complete engine was a little over 3k(may have changed a little), you will have to add to that the labor to have it changed and the as well as the few little parts and fluids needed. The engine is complete with manifolds pumps etc. Easy to swap out.
You will be much happier with new.
KiotiDave

/ Rebuild or Replace #8  
I agree with everyone else.
The engine from Kioti is brand new, with a warranty. Not a questionable rebuild.

It sounds as if your original engine was badly abused.

KO

/ Rebuild or Replace #9  
Just to let you know. With the new engine, you'll need to keep and use your original alternator, fan and starter motor. Job is easy but you need take lots of stuff off to do it. Great time to clean off those hard to clean areas too. Sold my old engine on E-Bay - you might want to consider that option (too heavy to use as an anchor anyway).