Receiver tube, welded center seam, up or down?

/ Receiver tube, welded center seam, up or down? #1  

tshep

Gold Member
Tractor
BX23 MLB
Actually, gonna' drill a slightly larger hole for a bolt head, and a smaller hole for the bolt shank.
Bolt(s) will go up into truck frame.
Tube weld side is 90* from 'lateral' pin hole (manufacturer did that for me).
Should I clamp/bolt the welded longitudinal seam (because it is stronger/weaker?)?
Or bolt the unwelded side?
The other side will be left with empty bolt head access hole.

It is a front tube for trailer parking, and some winching/recovery.

I just do not know, is welded side strongest, and should I anchor/support that against the frame or free air?

THX!

/ Receiver tube, welded center seam, up or down? #2  
I don't think it really matters, the welded seam is going to be very nearly if not just as strong as the rest of the tube. As long as there is no obvious flaw in the welded seam, it won't matter.

/ Receiver tube, welded center seam, up or down?
I don't think it really matters, the welded seam is going to be very nearly if not just as strong as the rest of the tube. As long as there is no obvious flaw in the welded seam, it won't matter.
Well, thank you for trying! By assembly time, I had no definitive answer, so I went practical - the head bolt would have 'rode funny on the inside weld, so it went down the; bolt is now on a formed wall.

/ Receiver tube, welded center seam, up or down? #4  
Yes, IF welded right, there should be no difference in strength. But... I've seen a bunch of poorly welded tubing in the scrap yard, that failed the inspection process. What about the "missed" ones? I like DOM tubing, but it's often over budget $, and project needs.