Reclaiming Field Perimeters 101

/ Reclaiming Field Perimeters 101
My brother in law and I team up to trim our fence lines. I stand in the bed of my RTV 900 with 16" bar chain saw and saw off anything I can reach while he maneuvers the RTV around so I don't have to get up and down. Teamwork like that reduces the time and effort by a factor of at least 10.

A couple of planks laid across the top of the bed gives additional foot of reach. I can get almost all of what needs to be cut to clear the cabs on our tractors from the RTV with a chainsaw. Some higher branches that grow downward require a pole saw to reach up enough to get them out of the way so we usually carry that tool also. We also trim up all the trees around the property that are scattered so we can drive under them. It takes a re-trim every couple of years to get rid of the stragglers.
After cutting limbs and just letting them fall, we either load them on the RTV to haul to a burn pile or if lots of them in a small area, just use the FEL to push them into a pile for burning. We don't have a grapple but that would have been nice to have earlier on when lots of trimming was going on, but now it isn't worth the cost for no more than we have to maintain.

I may look into the electric pole saw idea since we have 3 generators from 1000W to 10,000W capacity. Might be better than cranking on that pole saw which is a bit awkward with that long pole sticking out and you don't want it to touch the ground OR anyone around you.

This sounds like a good way to do it. I guess I will need to back along the tree lines so that I can cut the branches before the cab hits them. Pole saws are great as long as they crank, and you keep that tiny bar oil holder full. Does your 900 meet and exceed all your expectations?

/ Reclaiming Field Perimeters 101 #52  
I think this is my purpose in life -- cutting the perimeter of my fields. My approach is a never ending one. I use my chain saw to drop one tree at a time. I cut the whole tree - not just the overhanging branches. The trees around the field always are growing / leaning heavily in the direction of the field. As soon as the harvest is complete, I cut, carry away to a burn pile and paint the stump fluorescent orange for later. During the summer, I grind the stumps using PTO stump grinder. Every year my fields are a little bigger. Also, I always keep a driveable path around each field during the summer.

/ Reclaiming Field Perimeters 101 #53  
Been doing a BUNCH of ATV/UTV trails recently and I just take the Pole saw and walk. Found I can go fairly quickly. Lot quicker than getting up and down on my ladder/bucket/stool/etc. It is a little bit of a work out but in a few Saturdays I knocked out several miles worth of trails. I just drop the limbs and later run them over with the brush hog 2-3 times and that is all she wrote. It is a fair amount of work but once you really get a rhythm it is not all that bad.

I think this is my purpose in life -- cutting the perimeter of my fields. My approach is a never ending one. I use my chain saw to drop one tree at a time. I cut the whole tree - not just the overhanging branches. The trees around the field always are growing / leaning heavily in the direction of the field. As soon as the harvest is complete, I cut, carry away to a burn pile and paint the stump fluorescent orange for later. During the summer, I grind the stumps using PTO stump grinder. Every year my fields are a little bigger. Also, I always keep a driveable path around each field during the summer.

Are you reclaiming old fields, or creating new?
My place wasn't properly farmed for about 35 years. The fields were cut for hay, but they have shrunk considerably in size during that time. In the past few years even that wasn't done well. I'm working on getting the fields and perimeter back to the way they were. Then I will decide if, and how far back to push the woods.

/ Reclaiming Field Perimeters 101 #55  
Are you reclaiming old fields, or creating new?
My place wasn't properly farmed for about 35 years. The fields were cut for hay, but they have shrunk considerably in size during that time. In the past few years even that wasn't done well. I'm working on getting the fields and perimeter back to the way they were. Then I will decide if, and how far back to push the woods.

My original intent was to enable driving around the perimeter without getting beaten to death by the small overhanging branches. I don't farm it myself and, started off with a situation like yours. You should understand, this is not a one-time task. At least in my case it isn't. There is considerable new growth every year. That's why I decided to attack the big stuff rather than just pruning. Over time I have made my fields a little larger -- with nice mowable buffer areas between the crops and timber.

My original intent was to enable driving around the perimeter without getting beaten to death by the small overhanging branches. I don't farm it myself and, started off with a situation like yours. You should understand, this is not a one-time task. At least in my case it isn't. There is considerable new growth every year. That's why I decided to attack the big stuff rather than just pruning. Over time I have made my fields a little larger -- with nice mowable buffer areas between the crops and timber.

What's your terrain like? I have very little level grade. Most of it is mountain/foot hill, with a bunch of wet and dry creek beds. It gets interesting working along parts of the perimeter. I'm always watching the wheel location, trying to keep orange side up and rubber side down (all 4)!

/ Reclaiming Field Perimeters 101 #57  
Clearing up the edge of a hay field across the road. Twenty years ago I did it with a friend and his dad. Now the grandson is doing it with a small track hoe and case dozer. He makes a good deal more progress then we did during the day. Camp fires at night look the same.

Been doing a BUNCH of ATV/UTV trails recently and I just take the Pole saw and walk. Found I can go fairly quickly. Lot quicker than getting up and down on my ladder/bucket/stool/etc. It is a little bit of a work out but in a few Saturdays I knocked out several miles worth of trails. I just drop the limbs and later run them over with the brush hog 2-3 times and that is all she wrote. It is a fair amount of work but once you really get a rhythm it is not all that bad.

Are you running ATV's or UTV's. I have this great old Suzuki ATV. It has 35 forward gear options, and goes almost anywhere. I'll keep it till it dies. I would like to find a good side by side UTV for passengers. I love being out on the trails. Used to hike them all the time, now we have a bunch of bears and coyotes, so we need to be aware of the surroundings. In the fall, right when the leaves drop of the trees, we get those **** Wolf spiders that make new webs daily across the trails. I attach a vertical stick to the bumper of the ATV to take them out before getting hit in the head.
I have a cheap pole saw that's very temperamental. What kind do you recommend?

/ Reclaiming Field Perimeters 101 #59  
We are mainly running UTV's now which help with the spiders. That windshield is worth its weight in gold when there is a million webs across the trail in the fall!
I personally have a Stihl Pole saw - it is part of a combo system they have. It is a straight shaft weed water, has an attachment for for a blade, has a 4' extension I can add on, hedge trimmer head, the Pole saw, cultivator and they make a few other things for it. The have 3 motors (or powerheads) from a smaller one to a commercial grade powerhead. I personally bought the the better powerhead as we use it a LOT. Starts very easily every time and never give it a thought to run it for 4 or 5 hrs at a time (mostly by then I am getting tired of weed whacking or my arms are like rubber from pruning trees). Had it for about 5 years now and still works like new. I would by another one if ever died.
By the way - I recall the older Suzuki having the range selectors so you can get a super low, low gear. GREAT feature!! I know people hate shifting but I think that was an awesome feature and one that would be beneficial on a lot of other machines!

/ Reclaiming Field Perimeters 101 #60  
Another approach, if your growth is not-too-heavy yet too big for the bush hog -- pull them out with your loader, roots and all.
I get a lot of willow growth around my fields. My tree puller pulls them out easily.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_BO9AEoq8U

Last edited: