Recommendations for first lawn tractor

/ Recommendations for first lawn tractor #11  
With a half acre, I'd suggest a 5-6 HP self propelled walk-behind mower. I use a Snapper self propelled for trim up work and a fenced area less then 1/8th acre) right behind the house. You'd get as good a cut and some exercise too.
This might sound like an odd recommendation from a guy who has a 35 HP tractor to maintain 2.5 acres. If the only task for the Deere was mowing, I wouldn't have a tractor (other then as a hobby). The other tasks make the tractor worthwhile.

Last edited:
   / Recommendations for first lawn tractor #12  
Four years ago I bought a JD X300 from a dealer, I mow 1/3 of an acre, and it has less than 100 hours. The hydro is broken, and it's non-servicable, replacement: $1,000. Beware of any Tuff Torq model K46 or lower. I have found out this is a VERY weak unit.

/ Recommendations for first lawn tractor #13  
I just moved from a 1/3 acre lot in the burbs to 1.4 acres in the country. I used to use "either" my 21" self propelled mower, or my zero turn tractor (pictured in my avatar) depending on how quick I wanted to finish, or how much exercise I wanted.
Now I use either my SCUT or ZTT on the 1.4 acres, but really like the ZTT, because it gets around all the trees so easily, is fast, sits very low and stable with the very wide stance. I've got a steep hill in front, and it gets around it with absolutely no problem.
New they're more than $2000, but I got mine for $1600 with a few hours, a demo. 46" cut, 20 HP courage motor. Approaching 50 hours with no problems whatsoever.
I've considered getting a regular zero-turn, but don't know if it could handle my steep hills....good luck!