Reinstalling 2020 2 Stage Clutch

/ Reinstalling 2020 2 Stage Clutch #1  

jhenegh

Tractor
John Deere A, 2020, Farmall M
I'm having a hard time lining up both clutch plates and input shafts on my 2020. Any tips to do this?

Thanks

/ Reinstalling 2020 2 Stage Clutch #2  
Lining up both clutches requires a two step dummy shaft. You can block the pto fingers to free up the pto clutch

/ Reinstalling 2020 2 Stage Clutch
That would make sense. Any easy ways to acquire one of those?

/ Reinstalling 2020 2 Stage Clutch #4  
I can't answer that question because I used a JD dealers special tools for those repairs.

/ Reinstalling 2020 2 Stage Clutch #5  
A wooden dowel and masking tape can make wonderful clutch alignment tools. I have a full Kubota dual clutch alignment tool set, but they are always changing sizes and different manufacturers use different sizes, so I have improvised many times.

/ Reinstalling 2020 2 Stage Clutch
So I made a dowel that went into the pilot bearing, traction clutch then PTO clutch and assembled the whole thing on the bench. Then slid the whole assembly onto the the shafts and it fit well. Took the thing apart again so I could bolt the flywheel back on the crank. Used the dowel again to line up the traction plate between the pilot and PTO, which stayed tight the whole time. Tried to slide it all together again and it stops dead 1 inch apart.

Ive been lining up the splines on the traction clutch then sliding up to the PTO plate, and I'm able to get both splines started but it stops short of sliding all the way back together.

What am I missing? Not seated all the way into the pilot bearing?

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20121217_222410_696.jpg
    IMG_20121217_222410_696.jpg
    491.1 KB · Views: 477
   / Reinstalling 2020 2 Stage Clutch #7  
I put the pto in gear and turn the shaft to make sure the splines are engaged and do the same with the transmission and turn the crankshaft. You need to make sure the transmission is square to the engine too. Sometimes it just takes some jimmying around to get things to go that last little bit. I don't recommend using bolts to pull it together but sometimes some longer bolts help make sure things are lined up and square, and a little tension helps too.