Removing Dynahoe range shifter question...

/ Removing Dynahoe range shifter question... #1  

couchsachraga

Gold Member
Tractor
John Deere 4520 cab... formerly Yanmar 336D
The 1st gear in my D190 has gone from grinding and only working up hill to not working at all...so I'm pulling it out to rebuild it this winter.

I've pulled the whole unit before when I replaced the engine...I'm wondering, it LOOKS like it's possible to just unbolt the range shifter from the power reverser portion...I'm assuming here it's just a straight shaft i can pull the range shifter back from...does anyone know if this is the case, or have any pointers? It'd be a lot easier if I don't have to disconnect all the powershifter hoses and such, not to mention teh torque converter....

For those that dont' know the set up, or want more info, it's a Detroit Deisel 3-53 bolted to what is essentially an automatic transmission (for forward and reverse), which then is bolted to a range shifter (1-4), from which a drive shaft goes to the rear diff.....

Any thoughts or experiences, even with other machines, would be greatly appreciated! The backhoe sits in a field next to my barn (won't fit inside), so I don't exactly have perfect working conditions (not even power), so simple is better:)

Thank you in advance for any wise words!
Couchsachraga

/ Removing Dynahoe range shifter question...
For the curious...drop the drive shaft, unbolt the four bolts, ease her back, and it's OUT. Piece of cake...I would have pulled it this summer had i known it would be this easy. We'll see how the rebuilding goes next....

Couchsachraga