Repair / Improvement Screw Ups

/ Repair / Improvement Screw Ups #1  

Travelover

Elite Member
Tractor
B7100
Did you ever set out to make something just a little better and end up really messing it up?

Today I was looking at a little water leak detector in my basement and thinking it was dumb to constantly have to replace the 9 volt battery. Why not just use an old electronics charger to power it? So I hooked it up with test clips and it worked great, so I set to soldering on the leads permanently. With the leads soldered in place, I plugged it in, then it buzzed for a second, then nothing. Yep, soldered the leads on backward! :mad:

Fortunately no one saw me do it. :laughing:

/ Repair / Improvement Screw Ups #2  
Yeah but now you told us!:laughing: Happens to all of us at some point in time. Just another paint yourself in the corner senario.

/ Repair / Improvement Screw Ups #3  
I was making some adjustments to my 3PH and lost a 3/4" socket into the bottom of the transmission. That particular adjustment is made internally by reaching in through the filler cap hole. I bumped the side while removing the socket and poof...gone. I had to pull the top off the transmission to recover it.:ashamed:

/ Repair / Improvement Screw Ups #4  
Some days you're just better off staying in bed.

Sean

/ Repair / Improvement Screw Ups #5  
too bad it wasn't diode or bridge protected.

soundguy

/ Repair / Improvement Screw Ups
too bad it wasn't diode or bridge protected.

soundguy

For the $8 I paid for it, it had an amazing amount of electronics inside, including a chip that gave a choice of buzzer or musical alarm. But alas, it was not idiot proof. :confused2:

/ Repair / Improvement Screw Ups #7  
I did this with a light assembly. I couldn't figure why I had it plugged in under the sink. So, I cut the cord and direct wired it in. Well, it fried the bulb. The cord I cut had a 120/direct dc converter on it.

Ralph

/ Repair / Improvement Screw Ups #8  
I learned long ago never to attempt even the simplest repair on a vital piece of equipment without a full workshop/spare parts facility nearby just in case something goes horribly wrong. For example, if you are camped out in the bush somewhere don't get bored and decide you'll give the spark plugs a little clean up. The sudden fear that you might have stripped a thread can sure raise a cold sweat on your back.

If it ain't broke don't fix it.