Replacement belts

/ Replacement belts #1  

mrmikey

Veteran Member
Tractor
Iseki TM3160
It drives me up the wall when manufacturers use belts that are an odd size just to corner the market and charge ridiculous prices. My Toro 4235 uses two belts, (obviously) one for the drive and one for the deck. I've managed to cross up a belt for the deck that is less than 1/2 the price of the the OE deck belt. The OE belt was some crazy length plus 1/2" . I found a replacement kevlar belt with a normal length less the 1/2 inch and it works fine, problem and rip off solved.
Trying to find a replacement belt for the drive as the 'supposedly OE" is CAN$ 41.00 for a 1/2" x 58" cogged belt, nothing around at all other than non-cogged belts. Crossed up Toro's number 119-3309 to a Stens 265-530 to a Rotary 12-14810 nothing. I ended up going to the stealer to get one, what a piece of crap belt, edges are not clean, hard as a rock.
What are you fellas doing for belts, going OE or aftermarket?...........Mike

/ Replacement belts #2  
The thing is on certain brands of equipment the OE belts are so unique that generic off the shelf belts have a very short life span. Just because the cross reference says it is a 1/2 x 58 doesn't mean the OE is 1/2 x 58. the OE may be 15/32 x 58.39 with a 21 degree cut angle and the cross may be a 23 degree cut angle.

/ Replacement belts #3  
Stens and Rotary can have good belts for certain applications. It is hard to make a blanket statement though saying that just because there is a cross that it is a good cross. Experience is about the best teacher when it comes to belts. This year I've seen something that I have not seen before. My Husqvarna distributor has real common belt numbers that they are out of. Currently three that are my radar that I had to source elsewhere, but surely more. Others where the quantities are much lower than normal. Was able to dealer trade a couple of the first one. The other two may end up being Stens if I get much lower. The Toro pricing on the OP's belt isn't terrible. Companies are making good money on their parts pretty much because they can and probably have to. The new Deere deck belts are a great example. A half inch wide x ~145" belt for the since I know ya price of 90+$.

/ Replacement belts #4  
Try Off Road belts, sell both conventional and "kevlar". I've had good luck but YMMV