Replacing trailer axles

/ Replacing trailer axles #1  

joeu235

Platinum Member
Tractor
John Deere 4020 / 6403 / 317 Ford 5600
I replaced the axles on a 25 year old lowboy. They were bent from hauling a Ford 5000 20 years ago

/ Replacing trailer axles #2  
Why not just run one 7k or a 10k for extra margin. It would turn easier, tires wear a lot better and be cheaper.

/ Replacing trailer axles #3  
Why not just run one 7k or a 10k for extra margin. It would turn easier, tires wear a lot better and be cheaper.

I assume you mean the trailer will take turns easier, why is that?

/ Replacing trailer axles #4  

2 non steering axels want to go in a straight line and scrub making turns. It’s hard on tires and in extreme cases I’ve seen lugs sheared off. A single axle can pivot in a 360 circle without scrubbing.

/ Replacing trailer axles #5  

2 non steering axels want to go in a straight line and scrub making turns. It痴 hard on tires and in extreme cases I致e seen lugs sheared off. A single axle can pivot in a 360 circle without scrubbing.

And 3 axles are even worse in the turns. The tighter the turn the worse it is.

I made a turn with a dual axle trailer once and watched the tires in my mirror, I was sure the tires were going to come off the rims.

/ Replacing trailer axles #6  
Single axles do turn easier. They also fishtail easier and behave much worse with a blow out. I'd prefer a double axle trailer any day.

/ Replacing trailer axles #7  
Single axles are fun for looking in the rearview mirror to see your trailer (and load) catch air on bumps.

Although I just may get a Galvanized single axle trailer with heavier than 3500# axles.

I believe such a rig draws less attention from the heat than double axle rigs.

/ Replacing trailer axles #8  
Good job!

I would like to change my axles out from 3500 to 6 or 7k axles.

One thing you may want to do is make sure that the axles are in alignment.

Measure from the ball hitch to each side Of the front axle and the measurements should be equal if not adjust it.

Then measure from the front axle to the rear axle on both sides and if these measurements aren’t make adjustments.