Repop vs. OEM

/ Repop vs. OEM #1  

gemutlich

Silver Member
Tractor
1940 JD/B; 1947 Case VAC-12; 1955 Case VAC-14; 1958 Ford 641; 1959 Wheel Horse RJ & 1976 Wheel Horse C-120 Hydro; Schwinn Predator with a squeaky pedal ...
Tossing around the idea of replacing the rear rims on the 641 with new, and a little wider while I'm at it. Have an unjustifiable want to put 13.6 Goodyear turf tires on the back...

Looking at Steiner https://www.steinertractor.com/WHS013-rear-rim-12-x-28?&TF=76B28A681CAB their price on a 12x28 rim is half of what Messciks gets New Holland (641) - 4 CYL AG TRACTOR ALL PURPOSE (1/58-12/64) Parts Diagrams

If the quality of the rims from Messicks is double that of Steiner I don't mind shelling out the money, but before I choose either I wonder what y'alls experience has been with either of them?

Thanks fellas!

/ Repop vs. OEM #3  
Historically, dealers always charge more for OEM parts. Sometimes it's worth the price jump but other times, not so much. I think the in the case of a low tech rim, it would be hard to justify the difference in cost. You should be okay with either Steiner or the ones GB referenced.

/ Repop vs. OEM #4  
If you're going to get your tires locally, check with them for rims too. I've gone that route a couple times and it really simplifies things to have the ag tire shop supply the rims so they can mount the tires too.

/ Repop vs. OEM #5  
Tossing around the idea of replacing the rear rims on the 641 with new, and a little wider while I'm at it. Have an unjustifiable want to put 13.6 Goodyear turf tires on the back...

Looking at Steiner https://www.steinertractor.com/WHS013-rear-rim-12-x-28?&TF=76B28A681CAB their price on a 12x28 rim is half of what Messciks gets New Holland (641) - 4 CYL AG TRACTOR ALL PURPOSE (1/58-12/64) Parts Diagrams

If the quality of the rims from Messicks is double that of Steiner I don't mind shelling out the money, but before I choose either I wonder what y'alls experience has been with either of them?

Thanks fellas!

check out tucker tire. I was able to buy tires, on rims with tubes, delivered to my farm, cheaper than just TIRES from most places, even LOCAL!