Repower 1980' vintage IR gas powered air compressor

/ Repower 1980' vintage IR gas powered air compressor #1  

War Eagle 2

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota B3000HSDC, Allis Chalmers 5020
I have acquired a 1980's version of and IR T30 gas powered air compressor. The engine is a Kohler Magnum 10hp. The tank leaks gas and the fuel lines are all cracked and I want to repower the compressor with a Honda 13 HP electric start. I have removed the Kohler and hope to be able to use the pulley on the back of the motor. However, I have never before seen this specific pulley and am unfamiliar with how it is held onto the motor output shaft. I am hoping that someone is familiar with this type of pulley and can inform me on what I need to do to remove it from the output shaft on the old Kohler engine. It has two bolts on the face of the pulley but when I removed the bolts I was expecting the front plate to come off but I could seem to removed it. I know I have to use a puller on the pulley but am confused on what I should be doing with the face plate on the pulley.

Attachments

• 20220908_103253.jpg
    20220908_103253.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 91
  • 20220908_103040.jpg
    20220908_103040.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 88
   / Repower 1980' vintage IR gas powered air compressor #2  
That appears to be a dual v-belt pulley with a taper lock bushing holding it on the shaft. If it was all new you would just remove the two bolts and thread them into the two empty holes to press the pulley off of the taper lock bushing. In the current condition it is going to be be a bit more difficult to do that but the same principle applies. You should probably start by soaking everything with some good penetrating oil.

/ Repower 1980' vintage IR gas powered air compressor
Mendonsy, thank you. I have started soaking down the whole assembly with Deep Creep and then I'll start to slowly try to press the taper bushing out as you have suggested.

Again, many thanks for your info and advice.

/ Repower 1980' vintage IR gas powered air compressor #4  
Taper locks were a lot more common 50 years ago than they are today, mostly because quality was more important than price back in those days. Most of them today are metric and made in Europe or China. Dodge Industrial in South Carolina still makes them today and some industrial supply houses carry them.

/ Repower 1980' vintage IR gas powered air compressor #5  
Yep just bought a taper lock for a sprocket.

Attachments

• IMG_20220728_171823.jpg
    IMG_20220728_171823.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 75
   / Repower 1980' vintage IR gas powered air compressor #6  
Roustabout - Wow - that was some serious shear force!

I do hope you will be using a new tank with this repowered compressor and not the 80's one? It is likely thin from rust over the decades and probably not wise to reuse (if you even still have it). I was going to suggest what mendosny said, so I'll just say +1!