repowering a Ford 1910

/ repowering a Ford 1910 #1  

Mick Oz

Silver Member
Tractor
Ferguson TED20 TEF20 DongFeng ZB25
I have a Ford 1910 with the Shibaura 3cyl diesel. It has been trough a lot and the diesel has got to the point of being beyond repair. By me anyway.
I'm looking for advice on possibly replacing the diesel with a cheap 4cyl petrol engine from a scrapped car.
Has anyone seen this done or can you raise any obvious red flags for me?
I have been unable to find any information on line, but may be searching for the wrong thing.

/ repowering a Ford 1910 #2  
The one thing that i can think of is the difference in crank speed. The petrol engine runs faster than a diesel.

/ repowering a Ford 1910
IMG_2581.JPGIMG_2597.JPGYes a definite increase in crank speed to get to the average power band on the petrol 2800 rpm if I remember, but this will do No Plowing or brush hogging any more, so I think lower revs producing less power from the car engine may be still in the safe zone. Problem is Think don't Know.

Last edited:
   / repowering a Ford 1910 #4  
I have a Ford 1910 with the Shibaura 3cyl diesel. It has been trough a lot and the diesel has got to the point of being beyond repair. By me anyway.
I'm looking for advice on possibly replacing the diesel with a cheap 4cyl petrol engine from a scrapped car.
Has anyone seen this done or can you raise any obvious red flags for me?
I have been unable to find any information on line, but may be searching for the wrong thing.

I don't know if it would make any sense to ship a used engine from the USA to down under, but....
Tractorhouse.com has three 1910's that are being dismantled.
All States Ag Parts is another possibility as well.
Perhaps some other USA used tractor part seller might also have a replacement engine.
I do realize that shipping cost could be prohibitive, but it might be worth inquiring.

/ repowering a Ford 1910 #6  
What was the problem with the engine?
The 1910 is a wet sleeve engine and is easily rebuild able but expensive.
If the crank bearings are ok (haven't spun) and the engine is just tired then new bearing inserts, pistons, rings and liners should be all that's needed for a rebuild providing there isn't some other catastrophic issue.
The head is rebuild able as is the water pump.
I rebuilt one 1910 engine several years ago due to severe over heating and it is very heavy duty.
This is a very sturdy tractor if maintained properly.
My thought is that if you don't feel you can repair the engine then you shouldn't attempt an engine swap which will require fabrication and a machine shop.
Looking forward to more details of your problem.
90cummins

Last edited:
   / repowering a Ford 1910 #7  
Reviewing the photos I agree with RickB.
It looks like a 20 series Ford 1720, 1920.
Regardless I would check the engine for all issues and then weight a rebuild versus engine swap.
An engine swap may become so much of a hurdle that you never get it running.
I'm quite capable but an engine swap (anything other than OEM) is something is would steer clear of.
Please list issues with engine.

/ repowering a Ford 1910 #8  
As Rick B. said, it isn't a 1910, but looks like a US TC30, which parts are still available. Your pictures don't indicate why you say it is beyond repair. Aftermarket kits for these engines are availble even if you have to bore and sleeve.

/ repowering a Ford 1910 #9  
Reviewing the photos I agree with RickB.
It looks like a 20 series Ford 1720, 1920.
Regardless I would check the engine for all issues and then weight a rebuild versus engine swap.
An engine swap may become so much of a hurdle that you never get it running.
I'm quite capable but an engine swap (anything other than OEM) is something is would steer clear of.
Please list issues with engine.

1920 / 2120 = 4cyl

1720 = 3cyl

/ repowering a Ford 1910
The two posts are my fault, I should be more careful, but get carried away when I think I'm on to a fix or a plan. The tractor turned out to be a 1510 identified by one of the members here by numbers off the block I think. They directed me to find the ID plate

Attachments

• IMG_2715.JPG
    IMG_2715.JPG
    205.7 KB · Views: 377
Last edited: