Request Automatic Image Compression

/ Request Automatic Image Compression #1  

Gatorboy

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota M8950, Bobcat 873 SSL & Kubota ZD-331
Muhammad,

I'm sure you have heard of ImageMagick and other image processing software packages. Is there any plans, or have you even considered using something like that when people upload their photos?

You could accept any sized file, and then run it through the compression routine to then store that image into the filesize limit of 100Kb and delete the original photo from your server.

This would sure help alot of the folks that don't do alot of photo editing to not have to worry about cropping, resizing and/or compressing on their own before uploading their pictures.

/ Request Automatic Image Compression #2  
It's been years, but at one time I played around with a set of Unix utilites (PBM, PGM, PNM, and PPM, I think) that let you do pretty much anything you wanted with an image file. You could change from almost any format to any format, resize, rotate, alter color depth, file size, compression, etc.

The downside, as I recall, was that they were CPU-hungry little devils, especially with the larger files. Not sure how it would affect the mighty TBN processors, but that could be an issue.

Interesting idea, though, Dave. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ Request Automatic Image Compression #3  
Dave,

Yes, we're planning a new photo section soon. Probably will incorporate automatic compression.