request help with valve stem replacement on 10x16.5 skid steer tire.

/ request help with valve stem replacement on 10x16.5 skid steer tire. #1  

disney

Gold Member
Tractor
scag turf tiger 61" #2, gx95, sold f525 twice, f725 sold
Hi. Went to use tractor, and found it leaning to one side. front tire flat... leak from rubber valve stem... I have two main questions: is this likely to be a standard automotive valve stem, or would it use a larger diameter hole at the rim? It's an 8 ply tire, does anyone know if a standard automotive/pickup truck tire machine can break the bead just enough for me to install a new valve stem?

It's not critical I get this fixed before monday, but any suggestions on where I can get a valve stem if they are larger than the automotive size? I will certainly pay more for quality as I don't want this to happen again for another 20 years. Yes I will replace the other one, but may not do both at the same time, unless I have to take to an equipment shop. I apologize for not doing any research on this, but I figured I could post this, and hope for a reply, while I do my homework. Thank you. Hope everyone is doing well

/ request help with valve stem replacement on 10x16.5 skid steer tire. #2  
There's two standard diameter stems for cars and this is likely one of the two. A regular tire machine will break the bead down without a problem.

/ request help with valve stem replacement on 10x16.5 skid steer tire.
There's two standard diameter stems for cars and this is likely one of the two. A regular tire machine will break the bead down without a problem.

Thank you for letting me know that an automotive machine will work. I learned far more than I ever wanted to know about valve stems last night, including a product where you install it from the outside and then tighten to seal. They are not cheap, but I think I will buy them just to have in an emergency.

/ request help with valve stem replacement on 10x16.5 skid steer tire. #4  
Thank you for letting me know that an automotive machine will work. I learned far more than I ever wanted to know about valve stems last night, including a product where you install it from the outside and then tighten to seal. They are not cheap, but I think I will buy them just to have in an emergency.
I used one of those "quick stems" when the valve failed on one of the loaded rear tires on my M.
Literally took 5 minutes to fix. Well worth the price as the tire weighs 700 # so moving it to repair is not an option.

/ request help with valve stem replacement on 10x16.5 skid steer tire. #5  
The metal valve stems with an O ring on the inside with a nut threaded down on the outside is the most rugged type and not subject to the rubber / sun problem. 👍
Get the shortest one you can find. It's easier for it to hide or dodge the obstacles that tractor use can throw at it.😆

/ request help with valve stem replacement on 10x16.5 skid steer tire.
The metal valve stems with an O ring on the inside with a nut threaded down on the outside is the most rugged type and not subject to the rubber / sun problem. 👍
Get the shortest one you can find. It's easier for it to hide or dodge the obstacles that tractor use can throw at it.😆
Unfortunately the Florida sun may disagree with that. I recently had a metal trailer valve stem had the little bit of rubber exposed between the rim and the washer (under the nut) crack and leak. But yes this is a case where shorter is better.