Reveiw on a john deere x728

/ Reveiw on a john deere x728 #1  

Johndeerex728

Silver Member
Tractor
John deaf x728
Could someone give me a review on a John on a john Deere x728

/ Reveiw on a john deere x728 #2  
I am in the final stages of purchasing an X728. The other finalist was the possible choice of an X748 (diesel). Originally, the diesel was my choice, however in 2011 models (due to consessions made for California) JD significantly reduced the diesel's engine size (although HP is same) and torque has dropped accordingly (from 45.7 to 40.6).

The X728 is cheaper and has more HP than the X748 (27 vs24). I've not found specs to compare torque at RPM, but they probably have grown closer.

Since I will use the machine mostly for mowing, and running higher RPMs, it seems to me that HP gets the nod over torque, especially considering the price diferential.

/ Reveiw on a john deere x728 #3  
How much more is the diesel? Is it possible to recoop the difference if the diesel uses less fuel per hour?

I am also looking to replace a JD 285 lawn mower. Most likely will buy used, not sure if gas or diesel. I want liquid cooled if gas.

/ Reveiw on a john deere x728 #4  
I have a 2008 X748. It has manual FWD as opposed to the full time hydraulic.

It has so much power I doubt the smaller engine would be an issue although I don't rototill with it, just mow and push snow.

I like the tractor very well. I had the radiator replaced just after the warranty expired. Not a common problem. Other than that it has been good. It does very well on hills and in snow.

I would by another in a heartbeat. I'd still go for the diesel for fuel economy as mentioned by zebra5.

I'd also be sure to get the SE since the seat is really comfortable with the suspension.