Rewiring old Craftsman Woodworking Equipment

/ Rewiring old Craftsman Woodworking Equipment #11  
Actually it is in this part of the country. Like using the term Romex, Kerney, Greenfield, Alemite etc etc etc.

/ Rewiring old Craftsman Woodworking Equipment
I went to Lowes and found what I needed. I had looked at the cords for replacing on motors but all they had was 16 gauge.

I happened to meet an electrician there and he showed me the electrical cord section and what to use. I needed 14 gauge wire and was looking at 14 gauge wire, reached for 14 gauge wire. When I got home and cut the piece for the motor to switch I had 12 gauge wire:mad:.

Not a big issue except I also picked up the 20 amp plug that has one prong turned different than the other, which I did not want but is correct for 12 gauge wire.

So I go back to Lowes Sunday to exchange the plug and now they have 14 gauge cords to wire directly to the motor in stock. So I exchanged the plug and bought a cord for the bandsaw.

I will use the 12 gauge for the jointer.

I do have a question on the motor from the drill press. I noticed the ground wire from the motor was taped and not connected or grounded to anything. The cord form the motor to switch was grounded to the motor-plate that covered the wires and was grounded at the switch.

Should the ground wire from the motor not be grounded too? Or, since the cord to the motor is grounded at the motor and switch sufficient?

David

/ Rewiring old Craftsman Woodworking Equipment #13  
Should the ground wire from the motor not be grounded too? Or, since the cord to the motor is grounded at the motor and switch sufficient?

David

You're good with grounding the frame. Usually there is a self taping ground screw just inside the junction box.