Rhino 3224 no charge

/ Rhino 3224 no charge #1  

js2318

Tractor
Rhino 3224
My Rhino seems to have lost charging system. Amp gauge stopped moving, battery voltage slowly going down after each start.

External voltage regulator has 12v in, grounded, but 11.5-11.8 output. Which leads me to believe it is bad. Current version is a FT111, which all I can really find on is that it is 12v in, with cut off at 14v.

Can I replace with one of the following?

JFT149 ( Voltage Regulator / Old Style )
JFT 142A ( Voltage Regulator )

As far as the alternator goes, I should be able to disconnect the field lead coming from the regulator and attach 12v lead from the batter to that terminal. That should momentarily kick on the alternator, correct?

/ Rhino 3224 no charge #2  
It's been a long time since i've messed with an old style regulator, but I think the way to do it is to put full voltage to the Field winding in the alternator for just a moment to see if it will cause it to produce a higher voltage.
The best way to do that is to use a jumper wire from the battery to the alternator. In this case, I think you could just use a screwdriver to short from the + to the F.
BUT, don't do this unless you are sure about it, because I am not that sure to risk someone else's equipment.
A better option might be to pull the alternator and regulator and take it to an auto parts store for testing.

/ Rhino 3224 no charge #3  
Yes, you can momentarily apply battery voltage to the field terminal to check alternator output. This procedure by-passes the voltage regulator completely so it would be advised to disconnect the alternator output connection and just connect a volt meter to measure voltage, as this puts the alternator into "full field" and has the potential of high voltage especially if your battery is low. Use at least a 16 AWG jumper wire because the field can draw up to 7 amps.