Rim Guard Question

/ Rim Guard Question #1  

boomer1025

Platinum Member
Tractor
NH Boomer 1025
So I backed the tractor out of the garage to check the air pressure in the rear tires, good thing I did. Went to unscrew to the valve cap off the stem and the inner sleeve on the stem came out. Got a rim guard soaking, stuff don't taste to bad :laughing:.
I played the little dutch boy and stuck my finger over the stem too stop the flow. Then only had two choices, let the stuff drain out or put the sleeve back in. I stuck the sleeve back in and it didn't fly back out. I lost maybe a quart or 2.
Now the question. What replacement valve stems do you all recommend putting back in. I was thinking maybe metal, since the rubber one only lasted 9 years.

/ Rim Guard Question #2  
   / Rim Guard Question
From what I seen it's just a plain automotive tire valve stem. The insert looked like plastic that was possibility molded into the rubber stem.

/ Rim Guard Question #4  
I have no idea what YOU are talking about. There is the stem which the cap screws on to. There is the core which is spring loaded and keeps the tiny rubber stopper tight against its own bottom and keep everything inside the tire.

Not to worry. If the stem was at 12-O-clock and you lost fluid - - the tires were too full to start with. Any other position and you were bound to get a little spray on yourself anyhow.

Follow this procedure for liquid filled tires. Valve stem at 12-O-clock high. Short blast of air into stem to push any fluid in the stem back into the tire. Take the pressure reading.

/ Rim Guard Question
I have no idea what YOU are talking about. There is the stem which the cap screws on to. There is the core which is spring loaded and keeps the tiny rubber stopper tight against its own bottom and keep everything inside the tire.

Not to worry. If the stem was at 12-O-clock and you lost fluid - - the tires were too full to start with. Any other position and you were bound to get a little spray on yourself anyhow.

Follow this procedure for liquid filled tires. Valve stem at 12-O-clock high. Short blast of air into stem to push any fluid in the stem back into the tire. Take the pressure reading.

Well the tire was at 12 o'clock. It's not the first time I've checked loaded tires.
When I went to screw the cap off I got about 1/2 turn. That's when the insert (guts/core) assembly came out and it was about 3/4" long. The cap from what I can tell never turned.
The core screws into a sleeve which usually is brass and molded into the rubber valve stem. I didn't have time to wash the piece off since I was trying to keeping the fluid from spraying all over with the thumb of my other hand. But I didn't screw it back in I pushed it back in the the rubber stem. Lucky enough it stayed in.
Take an old rubber stem and cut it apart and see hows it's made.
Well as for a little spray, just think how much fluid would come out of a 3/16 dia hole from the weight of the tractor pushing the tire down plus the air pressure in the tire. Makes a big mess in a hurry.

/ Rim Guard Question #6  
As I mentioned most tractor valve stems or any valve stem made for liquid filling are are 2 piece;
tubeless tire valve.png in this picture you can see the plastic valve cap, then the knurled portion below the cap will unscrew from the base of the valve stem.
liquid fillcore.png this is a picture of the liquid fill core, this one has a metal valve cap, this screws into the main body of the valve stem.

/ Rim Guard Question #7  
Rim Guard has a warning about using the proper valve stems. Rim Guard will dissolve the rubber cement used to assemble valve stems, so the recommend all metal stems. Otherwise the cores fall out like you described.

/ Rim Guard Question
Rim Guard has a warning about using the proper valve stems. Rim Guard will dissolve the rubber cement used to assemble valve stems, so the recommend all metal stems. Otherwise the cores fall out like you described.

Yep I'm almost sure that's what happened to mine. The rubber cement dissolved. I'm just glad the tires weren't filled with calcium.
I talked with the dealer this morning about getting the stems replaced. He said years back they were told rim guard no effect on the regular rubber valve stems.
So now that has changed and it's recommended that liquid valve stems are used with rim guard.
So tomorrow morning I'll take both tires and have both valve stems replaced.