RM43 weed control mix % ?

/ RM43 weed control mix % ? #1  

scootr

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota MX5200 HST, 773 Bobcat, Cat forklift
Bought my first 2.5 gal jug of RM43 at TS today. Pricey stuff. But what isn't?
Then I googled the mix rate and found 6 - 7.5 ounces. What!>:oops: I have been using the old similar stuff at 2oz per gal with great results for years...it kills stuff just does not prevent re-emergence. But for 3 times the area per gallon it oughta kill the weeds for 3 years and rake up the dead ones!
Honestly guys, what ratio are you using? I'm spraying mustard and thistle at worse.

/ RM43 weed control mix % ? #2  
FYI you really shouldn't be comparing it to say Round-Up if that's what you mean by "old stuff" as

- round-up is a non-selective post emergence broad leaf herbicide. Spray, kill, then can plant a day or so after depending on stuff like crops, etc... We call this stuff a broad leaf plant killer
- RM43 is a total vegetative killer that binds to the soil and supposed to give you a few years of total veg. control. You don't plant after spraying for about a year normally I think. We used to call stuff like this a soil sterilizer.

they are much much different things for much different uses.
I spray my fields with round-up and then seed couple days later. It binds to the leaves to kill the plant.
RM43 you would spray a field AND NOT REPLANT FOR A YEAR OR TWO. It binds to the leaves to kill the plant AND binds to the soil so nothing is supposed to grow for a year maybe two.

kinda apples and oranges comparison.
Mix rates and uses different as they are not the same thing and round-up off patent so lots of generics driving cost down.

/ RM43 weed control mix % ?
Still looking for an answer to the question. Are you guys mixing RM43 at 6-7.5 ounces to the gallon?

Even at 6 oz to the gallon the whole $200 2.5 gal jug would only make about 13 gal of spray material or more than $15 a gallon. I can spray gasoline on the weeds for less than that :LOL:

Last edited:
   / RM43 weed control mix % ? #4  
The mixture is correct, expect it to work for about 6 months at best when it went for $75 a jug to it’s current pricing I started using diesel fuel instead to kill brush

/ RM43 weed control mix % ? #5  
Still looking for an answer to the question. Are you guys mixing RM43 at 6-7.5 ounces to the gallon?

Even at 6 oz to the gallon the whole $200 2.5 gal jug would only make about 13 gal of spray material or more than $15 a gallon. I can spray gasoline on the weeds for less than that :LOL:

Your math is off.

A gallon contains 128 fluid ounces.

128 x 2.5 (the gallons you have) = 320 fluid ounces.

320 fluid ounces divided by 6 ounces of ingredient to a gallon of water would yield 53.33 gallons of spray solution.

Not 13.

/ RM43 weed control mix % ? #6  
I normally mix 43% Glyphosate about 50:1 (64 oz to 25 gal)

/ RM43 weed control mix % ? #7  
It's control lessens over time. It doesn't last as long as it promises but it does buy u a lot of time.

/ RM43 weed control mix % ? #8  
I didn't figure out the mixtures. The table will tell you that. But really are you using the right stuff for your application? Are you just spraying fence rows or are you spraying pastures. If you are only trying to kill thistle and mustard, they are both broadleaves. Why do you need the imazapyr portion of the 43? Wouldn't you be better just using 2-4-D and wiping out the broadleaves? It might give you what you want a a better price as well as a better result. 43 is just gly and imazapyr.

Just a thought.

/ RM43 weed control mix % ? #9  
Bought my first 2.5 gal jug of RM43 at TS today. Pricey stuff. But what isn't?
Then I googled the mix rate and found 6 - 7.5 ounces. What!>:oops: I have been using the old similar stuff at 2oz per gal with great results for years...it kills stuff just does not prevent re-emergence. But for 3 times the area per gallon it oughta kill the weeds for 3 years and rake up the dead ones!
Honestly guys, what ratio are you using? I'm spraying mustard and thistle at worse.

I will not repeat the above sound advice by several posters. Use the rate suggested on the label, ALWAYS and for every product. Using less can cause a build up of resistance in plants.

Be aware that soil affected will extend beyond the area sprayed. Do not use it near any waterway - it kills aquatic plants. I do not know its effect on water based animal life. Edit: I originally typed "affect" instead of "effect".

If you have legumes in or near the area to be sprayed and want to protect them you can use 2-4-DB instead of 2-4-D.

Last edited:
   / RM43 weed control mix % ?
Thank you