rotella 10w -30

/ rotella 10w -30 #21  
Thanks for the link. That was very informative.
So basically, a 5w40 (Rotella Synthetic) will have more of a "swing" than say a 20w50. Maybe it's superior in the fact that it takes more R&D to develop an oil that can swing from 5w to 40w than from 20w to 50w. Not necessarily superior in lubrication speak, just in application. Right?

Thanks to all.
I'm currently running Rotella Synthetic in my Honda engine, and would like to run a high quality oil in it from now on.

Thanks again to all who helped.

/ rotella 10w -30 #22  
OH Great guro's of oil and diesel tractors. What's the concensus of leaving the Shell 5w-40 in year-round in Northern climates. I'm in southern Michigan where summer's usually top out in the low 90's and winters get as cold as a little below zero. Usually I'm not running the tractor in either of these conditions however. Normal summertime work is done while in the low 80's and winter in the 10 - 30 degree range.

/ rotella 10w -30 #23  
dj

That's exactly what the Rotella 5w40 oil is for, year round. It was specifically designed for use in North America.

Billy

/ rotella 10w -30 #24  
That is probably what I would do. But if I thought 10W30 would let it start OK, then I would use it instead. It is generally a better oil, less change between the two numbers, so it will hold up better. And the 30 weight is high enough weight for summer. My grandfather ran 10 weight in his cars, all year around, and he was a fast driver for his time. Mostly 65 to 75, and got over 117,000 miles on a 1946 Chrysler, before a truck hit it, and it still was not using oil. He lived in southern Ohio.

/ rotella 10w -30 #25  
<font color=blue>I agree with your dealer; just put the 15W-40 in it and don't worry about it.</font color=blue>

My JD dealer suggests their 15W-40 that's called either "Plus-50" or "Super-50", I can't recall which off-hand. Does anyone use this, or do most people recommend a synthetic of the same rating? I'm near Rochester, NY.. and temps can range from well below zero to approx 100 (Farenheit). On average, we usually see about +10 to ~+90 degrees, year round.

I start the tractor at low idle, wait a minute or two, and then bump it up to about 1200 RPM, and let it sit there for a while before using it. Use Power Service in the fuel.

Sound like I'm okay?

Thanks,
Bob

/ rotella 10w -30 #26  
pruntyc, I'm like you. Since it's synthetic and already exhibits better winter flow characteristics, I'd just as soon go with 10w-30 year-round. But I guess Shell doesn't make the T line in it. I probably shouldn't be that concerned about the 5w, even in the summer, as many automobiles call for 5w-30 and at least this is 5w-40.