Rotopax containers

/ Rotopax containers #1  

3930dave

Tractor
Ford 3930
Haven't used these yet, but was checking them out.

RotopaX 2 Gallon Gasoline

Hadn't come across this warning before....

"PLEASE ALWAYS REMEMBER TO VENT THE FUEL PACK ONCE PER DAY IF THE ELEVATION OR TEMPERATURE CHANGES SIGNIFICANTLY."

^ unique to Rotopax, or have I just missed this on other containers ?

Rgds, D.

/ Rotopax containers #2  
IMG_4874.jpegI run them on our SxS, 2 across the rear and never vent them. Been using the same ones for about 6 years and they work great and hold up very well. Expensive but found them to be worth it.

/ Rotopax containers #3  
I have one on my dual sport and never vent it. I often take that bike out west and ride old mining roads up in the mountains. It might swell a tad bit with elevation changes. I imagine it's just legal coverage. They make a solid product.

/ Rotopax containers
Thanks for the field reports guys.

From what I saw of the small stack of 'paxes on top of a Tiguan late one night, they looked solid, but that's the only ones I'd been near live....

Probably just overactive lawyers........ the reference in the write-up to "..... the governments new extremely low permeability requirements." may be a hint. If the gas (vapour) pressure is high enough inside the can, then some almost-zero ppm level may be exceeded in a permeability test.

I've seen worse elliptical logic used to "comply" with Regs........ (but No, I wouldn't vent once/day either.......)

Tho, with the right lottery ticket (so I could haul toys to AZ in the dead of Winter.....), I might pay more attention to Boyle's Law...... :cool:

Rgds, D.

/ Rotopax containers #5  
Im guessing that is what it is. I asked a buddy with them and he said he has never vented his either. We are both in WV and don't have 110 degree heat, but 90's is not unusual in the middle of summer for reference....

/ Rotopax containers #6  
I carry my chainsaw pre mix and my bar oil as well as the extra fuel for the genny in them in the side compartment of my truck camper and have for years with no issues. Expensive, certainly, worth the expense? Certainly.

/ Rotopax containers #7  
Venting an expanded container can be dangerous and bad for the environment. It's best to leave them alone. I don't have rotopax containers only because of their cost but my gas cans have looked like the Pillsbury dough boy and change volume throughout the day for years on end and have never had a single problem, and I probably own 6 different brands and 3 different sizes of plastic fuel cans. I just make sure the lid is on tight and doesn't leak.

DEWFPO

/ Rotopax containers
I've used various sizes (5 to 25L) of conventional plastic cans over the years. Other than vent caps cracking, the only failure was one from years ago, that I kept empty in an old Chev trunk..... last time I filled it, noticed a few hours later that it was sweating small droplets through the sides.

My current favourite conventional can is the 2 pack 20L vertical-style (Mil/Nato format) that Costco sells here.... liking the footprint.

I have one older "breadloaf" shaped can, that probably should have been vented last time...... sat over-Winter almost empty and sealed..... sides oil-canned in, and have taken a "set". Now that it's finally stopped snowing here (I hope !), will park that one about 1/3 full and sealed in Summer Heat, to see if I can move it back out to normal profile....

I generally don't do additional venting, but was curious, having never seen that advisory from a manufacturer before.

I think Rotopax is a good solution for High Mobility/Low consumption applications...... next bike may be a dual-sport, so have been casually looking at supplementary fueling options for remote trips.......

Thanks for the inputs guys....... Rgds, D.