Rough cost to ship a tractor these days?

/ Rough cost to ship a tractor these days? #1  

Piper2022

Bronze Member
Tractor
New Holland 1920
Roughly what would I expect to pay for tractor shipping for a 30hp compact with loader and backhoe say 1000 miles? Trying to locate a nice used tractor and nothing is close :(

/ Rough cost to ship a tractor these days? #2  
It's going to be a very regional dependent amount, I think.

are you buying from a dealer? If so, they probably have contacts they could give you for a quote.

if you're not buying from a dealer , maybe use Google maps to locate dealers in the area that you are buying and give them a call anyway asking if they know of any transporters.

/ Rough cost to ship a tractor these days? #3  
I shipped a 30 hp tractor six or eight years ago and believe that I paid about $600 for a thousand miles. I have no idea if that is expensive or cheap.
The guy who hauled mine said there was a website where people looked for partial return loads. He had just dropped off a load of furniture for relatives and was going my way.

/ Rough cost to ship a tractor these days? #4  
Sometimes the dealer can ask for a back haul to reduce the cost. Trucks would rather be hauling than go back empty. Something you should ask if you do get it from a dealer.

/ Rough cost to ship a tractor these days? #5  
If you close to truck stop or truck dealer should give you info.

/ Rough cost to ship a tractor these days? #6  
Depends on how remote the seller is
how remote the buyer is
how fast you want it
weight of the tractor (you're looking at about 3500 lbs. minimum)
any implements coming with the tractor (takes more room)
I just shipped an excavator from Philadelphia to (outside) Washington, D.C. 160 miles one way. Had to come on a flat bed, by itself.
Quoted $4.00 a mile, 2nd quote was $2.75 a mile. Bargaining took it to $2. a mile. Price shown is door-to-door = not one way.
I would be very hesitant to buy from as far away as you are contemplating.
1) You're going to want to see a used tractor.
2) Unless you're dealing with a dealer, you'll want to hand over the money when you take possession of the tractor.
3) It probably means two trips for you to the seller.
When I bought the above mentioned excavator ($27K), I went to check it out, first. I gave the seller $1,000 non-refundable to hold it for 4 days. He ran his own business so I checked out his reviews on-line, before I went to see the excavator (and before giving him the $1K). Then I arranged for transportation and rode with the transporter to get the excavator. After checking that the excavator was as I last saw it, and before loading, I gave the seller a cashier's check for $26K. I had emailed him an image of the cashier's check the day before. He called my bank to verify that cashier's check was good, and issued to him.
We both were careful. That's what good business is about.
You're not too far from Boston. Co-incidentally, that's not too far from where I bought my 32hp Kubota with loader and backhoe. That time, I'd sent the seller's lawyer $500 to cause the seller to hold the tractor until I got there - purchase subject to inspection. We drove from Wash. DC to western Massachusetts. On approval of the tractor (it only had 39 hours on it), I gave the seller $18,500 in cash and we loaded it up and left for northern Maine.

/ Rough cost to ship a tractor these days? #8  
Oz, that's only the half of it. We were in Northern Maine in summer (business there). Then took the tractor to NC (mobile home park operation), then to Arkansas (RV park there), then to Mobile (RV park there), and reversed the course the next spring. Did that for 10 years.
I've been thinking about changing my user name to Have Tractor, Did Travel for all of that is past now.