Round bales with a "small" tractor - my experience

/ Round bales with a "small" tractor - my experience #11  
I am operating on almost identical equipment just on a some slightly smaller equipment. I use an Oliver super 55, JD 4310 and a JD 4400 all running about at 30 hp at the PTO. I have a Sitrex 4 wheel rake, Tar River 165 Drum mower, a MF 25 hay rake and one of those China made MRB870 mini round balers.

My thoughts on the hay equipment is very similar. The drum mower works incredibly well. I've never came close to having the tractor bog down from it and you can mow fast. The only thing I don't like about it is how it cuts so close to the ground. I probably leaves only about 2" after the mower went through. The wheel rake does an adequate job on hay that isn't too long. On one cutting I did it was way too long and wouldn't clean from the rake at all. It ended up wanting to just wind around the wheels and clog up. Lighter cuttings the rake does well on gently windowing. The MF 25 rake is pto operated and 3 point and it really does a nice job of making clean narrow windrows for the mini baler.

Initially I bought the mini round baler for several reasons. First it's compact size. I spend no time turning around. End of row lift up turn around and go back down the row right next to it. Easy to store and extremely maneuverable. Another reason was because we were doing mulch hay in our gardens before getting horses and these bales were easier to spread out then square bales. Lastly I didn't want to have to get a larger tractor just to run a baler. That being said though there are some disadvantages to it. One is you need very small windrows as the pickup is only 30" and second it is not nearly as fast as running a square baler because you have to stop moving when it is tying. It is simple design though and requires next to nothing for PTO Hp. Eventually I will probably upgrade to a Hesston 530 or an older small square baler.

/ Round bales with a "small" tractor - my experience #12  
Informative post even though I cannot hay on my 20 acres. Brings back memories from over 55 years ago when my dad had me spend two weeks on a farm during haying season. Square bales back then and quite a good work out for a 12 year old kid.

The old farmer wound up losing his farm....sad...they were good people.

/ Round bales with a "small" tractor - my experience #13  
They made them 1989 to 1995

My CV joint grenaded too....big bucks. I just subbed in a regular U joint for $40. Can't turn as sharp though.

I always wondered about that when/if that happens to me. I have a NH 634 with that PITA CV joint too. I also thought about used too, but most likely they're worn completely out or wouldn't be scrapped.

/ Round bales with a "small" tractor - my experience #14  
I always wondered about that when/if that happens to me. I have a NH 634 with that PITA CV joint too. I also thought about used too, but most likely they're worn completely out or wouldn't be scrapped.

Best part? I had two new crosses ($160 each) put in it before it grenaded, I never did a CV before so I had dealer do it (labor). Didn't even make a bale and it blew up. Found you can cut the whole CV part out and reuse the tractor coupler and straight shaft with a bit of grinder work and a regular cross fits in.

If I had to do it again I would have just bought a whole new CV shaft.....